Annealing Brass

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Annealing Brass

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Looked back aways and didn't see anything lately. So those of you that anneal with machines what machine do you use and what do you like about it and what would you change?

I seriously looking at the Annealeze right now. It's at a price point I may be able to afford and from videos I've watched seems like a decent machine.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Annealing Brass

Post by Macd »

If I had the need and the cash this would be my choice.
https://www.ampannealing.com/mark-2-annealer/

Induction annealing is used by high quality brass makers such as Norma.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Had my Ballistic Edge 360 3-torch annealer for years now, could not be happier with it. The picture on the page shows a 2-torch annealer, but the 360 is a three.

It is hard to beat the price of the Annealeez. Be sure you get some Templaq, more on that later.
Michael
mmb617
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by mmb617 »

After a fair amount of internet research I built my own based on somebody else's design. I'm very happy with the result and spent right around $100 total on it.

You can see it in the lower left of this picture:

I'm still doing some minor tweaking on it as I have to watch it run, but it feeds properly probably 95+% of the time. I keep a pair of channel locks handy to grab any cases that land sideways in the drum. Still way better than trying to do them by hand.

I like that I can control the time in flame and that it automatically rolls the cases to heat them evenly.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

May reading indicates that I need at 750 degree Tempilaq. Some where I remember seeing someone suggesting a ring of some lower temperature (450?) in a ring around the case close to the head. Any thoughts on this idea.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I found my post explaining the use of two temperatures of Templiaq for calibrating an annealer.

https://www.lee-loader.com/viewtopic.ph ... iaq#p30750
Michael
Rapidrob
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by Rapidrob »

I modified my case annealer that I made two summers ago so that it was more user friendly, hold many more cases and was 100% reliable during operation.
I started by adding a Latching relay control board ( buck fifty off of Ebay) and a precision 5-turn Potentiometer.
I machined a cartridge case drum from brass that takes each case in turn to be annealed and sets it to the ready position. Nylon plastic or even wood can be used.
I have a hopper that is not shown in the video that feeds the cases by gravity so I can start the unit and do other reloading things and not have to load each case one-at-a-time.
The unit was tried with 500 6.5 Swede cases and annealed them all in just under one hour.
The silver drum motor as well as the brass case drum for speed are adjustable from the smallest to the largest cases I have to anneal.
A Propane torch is used sitting on a rest. The hot cases will fall and hit a case deflector which will direct the cases to a wire basket under the machine as they cool.
The silver drum is made from a special steel for baking that absorbs heat like a sponge. Only the case neck and shoulder are annealed with no chance of the case being softened any further.
here is a short video of it operating without the hopper or heat source.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Specially 45/70 and the like. Those of you using a torch annealer, I have an AnealEze, how far down the case from the mouth do you let the flame. I've been thinking maybe 1/2" and not more than 3/4". What's yur experience?

Make smoke,

Return to “Topic Bucket”