Reloading supplies

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Reloading supplies

Post by horseman »

This is about bulk SD bullets for reloading. I've been searching about quite awhile now for some "good" SD bullets for my 9mm with little success. Pretty much all the "normal" on-line outlets are out of stock, even some places I've never heard of have nothing. I'm talking "stuff" like Gold dots, Golden Saber, HST and the like in virtually any bullet weight. (I've been using 115gr. Gold Dots but I'm OUT..) I've been able to pick up a few boxes of 100, XTP's for my 45 ACP (I really like them in the 45ACP) in some of the Sporting stores within 100 miles or so of where I live for the 45Auto. But not lately. Today I got a bit lucky, I guess, found a store on-line that had some 147gr. 9mm XTP bullets in stock and reasonably priced. (been wanting to try these in 9mm for awhile now) Free shipping if 50 bucks or over. Boxes of bullets are heavy (even 100ct) so shipping is usually fairly high, saw some at almost 30 bucks for two boxes just shipping. :o Back to my "find", two boxes max (maybe try again tomorrow for two more) that came to just under 45.00....6 bucks shipping, cheap. But I'm even cheaper so went back and got another box of 45 230gr xtp's (I have 5 of those on my shelf now but you never know) total was a bit under 70 bucks w/free shipping. I may have to do this every day for awhile :lol: would that be "hoarding" :? .....as Paul Harrell would say, "you decide"...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Reloading supplies

Post by Ranch Dog »

I suspect you are pretty lucky if you can find anything at this point, especailly if it is for a 9mm Luger. Thank God for bullet molds!
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I'll leave it at I'm glad Dad had a bunch of Jacketed stuff around because my jacketed bullets have been basically gone for 6-7 years . There's a few 38/357s and maybe a box of 100 9mm . I don't think there's a single jacketed bullet for 45s . 22,25,27,28&30 cal have a bunch on hand and for reasons unclear to me now I have a bunch of 243/6mm bullets . I have more and more choices in cast bullets .......

A carton here and there has built a good supply of primers and the recent powder score added security there .

I feel bad for these guys that have 500 primers and think it's a good supply if they find a few trays now and then . I will probably have some left if I don't buy any more for 12 yr and don't get too range happy .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
AlaskanGuy
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by AlaskanGuy »

this is why I only shoot what I can cast myself these days... more work but I get what I want...
Any technology, not understood, can seem like magic....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Horseman, you ever look at the LuckyGunner ballistic tests? When it comes to jacketed handgun bullets, I've always been a fan of the Gold Dots but the XTP sure seem perform better in the LG testing. I've been shooting more and more jacketed bullets in my bolt action rifles and like how the Privi Partizan designs hold up on whitetails and hogs. I bought a variety of the PPU handgun designs this year to try, but won't get to it until it cools off. I went with the JHPs, the LG tests show better penetration with FMJ, but I'm of the school that in a self defense situation that I would prefer the bullet to staying with whoever is getting shot. In other words, not exceeding the FBI penetration specs.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Ranch Dog wrote:Horseman, you ever look at the LuckyGunner ballistic tests? When it comes to jacketed handgun bullets, I've always been a fan of the Gold Dots but the XTP sure seem perform better in the LG testing. I've been shooting more and more jacketed bullets in my bolt action rifles and like how the Privi Partizan designs hold up on whitetails and hogs. I bought a variety of the PPU handgun designs this year to try, but won't get to it until it cools off. I went with the JHPs, the LG tests show better penetration with FMJ, but I'm of the school that in a self defense situation that I would prefer the bullet to staying with whoever is getting shot. In other words, not exceeding the FBI penetration specs.

Yes I have, fact I have those tests on a saved page. I know the "knock" on the XTP is it's a "hunting" bullet and that it doesn't expand as large and as "pretty" as some brands, and can "over" penetrate. Going by the gel tests, the Golden Saber is about perfect. But my thought is this isn't a perfect world so a little "more" penetration may be beneficial. I've read a lot of discussions on the viability of ballistic gel vs real "tissue" and agree that the gel is a good median for testing apples to apples, but I'm not convinced it's a realistic "test". (But I guess it's the best we have) But I'm not wanting to get into a discussion on the merits of gel here. With that said, the test's I've seen on the 147gr. XTP in 9mm (in calibrated gel w/denim) in the 950fps range, it performed as good or better than "most" of the 124gr "preferred" bullets in the 1150fps range. Expansion was about equal with the others,( although they were 124's) with a bit more penetration, but not overly so. Check TNOUTDOORS video for more info. That is the reason I'm looking at that particular bullet for 9mm. So I guess I'm guilty of looking to gel for performance as well, just not convinced it's the end all, be all for real results. Hope this comes across the way I meant it to, the written word is sometimes deceiving to meaning.

EDIT: there is some information on Brassfetcher.com about "improved" type ballistic gel(s), and tests, that may change your mind about what bullet you may want to consider for SD.
Last edited by horseman on 20 Aug 2020 10:09, edited 2 times in total.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

This is why I learned to cast even though I do buy bulk jacketed in the up times in the event I run out of lead.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

GasGuzzler wrote:This is why I learned to cast even though I do buy bulk jacketed in the up times in the event I run out of lead.

That's something I'm going to have to start doing again. Just have been lazy I guess. I'm down to a couple hundred pounds of lead ingots and still have a half pot full in the Pro Melt for the last three years just sitting there, but I'm getting very low on bullets cast for the 45 Colts, 357's and 44 mag. Haven't been shooting those very much for a while so not really needed to cast. I also don't have any molds suitable for the 45 Auto or the 9mm. Nor the 223 either. But my intention for those were not to shoot cast, as bullets (then) were fairly inexpensive and common place. Not so much right now. Sooo, mayhaps better buy a few molds and heat up the pot. :geek: Just kinda figured the alloy I have left was more an "emergency" type stash. Think I need more of that too. :lol:
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

The Hornady .224 bulk bullets I bought for $0.07 per and they sell for $0.11 now and they're going up. Plus you can't find them. I have piles and piles of factory ammo and components if needed in a hurry but also, like others here, can make my own if needed.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

CCI primers are selling for $0.09 to $0.11 EACH in bulk on some of the giant forums. I am seeing Winchester WSP for $140 plus shipping for a 1K box.

Return to “Topic Bucket”