Manufacturing Ammunition

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Manufacturing Ammunition

Post by horseman »

Found out something really interesting the other day here in the small town (2000ish people) I live in. There's a Machine shop (for want of a better description) locally that's been here long before I arrived 21 years ago. (I'm still considered an "outsider" here :lol: ) It's a pretty big building and I've had quite a bit of work done there, welding, metal fab work, bought metal there, you name it they'll do it. Lots of cool machinery, (some of it older than I am and I'm old) place is a mess to walk in to. (well it IS a metal working/machine shop) You know the kind of place. Good folks there. They also do sandblasting (different building) and run a propane business. Used to be just three guys working(?) in there and that included the owner, I know them all. (there's a couple more there now) Just kinda trying to give you a written "visual". So,I stopped in there the other day to see about getting some propane tanks filled and certified and some smaller aluminum spacers made up and when I walked in I noticed some big containers of 223 brass sitting off to the side. Well obviously I had to ask, "hey Pete (yup that's his name) what's all the brass for"? (thinking they were maybe recycling stuff now) he just pointed over to the far end of the shop and when I turned to look I see 5 automated Dillon 1050's running just processing brass. :shock: Of course I had to go over there to "watch" and the conversation changed from what I came in for to what the heck they were doing with all that cool reloading "'stuff". He took me to another part of the building (apart from the "machine shop" and lo and behold 5 (or six) more Dillon's making ammo. I didn't have time to really get into the whole thing with him but what I "seem" to have heard is they are making their own brand of reloads in (at least) 9mm and 223, perhaps more or more later to come, don't recall (I was to busy watching the machines work). He told me they had a store front in town but I'm not sure about sales at this point. Need to go back and talk to the owner for more info. I have lot's of questions for him :geek: Pretty cool huh... 8-)
Oh, yes I did get the spacers made and tanks filled...... :D
Kaiser
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Manufacturing Ammunition

Post by Kaiser »

Call me paranoid, but I wouldn't put this information on "facebook". I grew up in the era where "OPSEC" was enacted for self protection reasons from those who may oppose yours or his type of activities.
I would hope the proprietor would advertise his new business if that is his marketing intent; otherwise, you now have a new source of supply if ammo if it becomes scarce in your area.
Being a "Permanent Transient" myself, local friends go with local trust allotted to the "outsider" they consider trustworthy. My .02 backed by a lifetime of "secret" clearances.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

It is super cool seeing an ammo mfg fully automated, up & running.
All that mechanical stuff if cool.
I have to agree with Kaiser, think I'd be sort of under the radar
at this time.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

larryw wrote:It is super cool seeing an ammo mfg fully automated, up & running.
All that mechanical stuff if cool.
I have to agree with Kaiser, think I'd be sort of under the radar
at this time.
I don't think "under the radar" is in their scope. They have a name for the ammunition company and I've seen boxes of the finished product. I believe it's called High Desert "something", so they're in it for commercial use and I "assume" the long haul. It's a business not a covert operation. 8-)

Return to “Topic Bucket”