Lee Deluxe Perfect Powder measure

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Lee Deluxe Perfect Powder measure

Post by Macd »

I use the PPM for all my rifle loads and load development. I haven't had any leakage issues but I learned early to give it a light tap at the drop stage to prevent bridging of some extruded powders. Before the PPM I used the dippers. After a couple of years of dippers the PPM seemed magical.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Macd wrote: After a couple of years of dippers the PPM seemed magical.
Yup, me to. Sure did seem "Magical".
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
mmb617

Post by mmb617 »

I have 3 of the PPM's, one for each of the calibers I load. To me it's just easier that way since it's 3 different powders and amounts. I don't notice any real leakage problems but I will say the adjustment screw is very sensitive. If it's too loose they will leak and if it's too tight they bind. It took me a little tweaking to find the sweet spots for all 3 as a small adjustment makes a lot of difference.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

If your Perfect Powder measure leaks, lap it. Takes about 20 minutes. If it still leaks, lap it some more. If you still see "shiny" spots on the drums, lap it until those are all gone. So will the leaks. The one I have still leaks a bit (very little bit with fine powder) but there are still a "few" shiny spots so I'm going to lap it some more. I"ll bet real money the leaking will stop at that point. I use a 320 grit clover lapping compound because that's all I have (I use it for fire lapping barrels) if I had a finer grit I would use that as a last "cleanup" lap. Clean the measure really, really, well after lapping. Or...buy a "better" measure for more money.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

horseman wrote:If your Perfect Powder measure leaks, lap it.
Do you remove the polymer wiper before you lap?

Edit:

I removed the wiper and then lapped with 320 grit valve lapping compound. I still have a couple of very small shiny spots, but leaking is greatly reduced. I tested it with 50 pieces of brass and had just a few specks of powder.

I also drilled and installed a pin in the lever and its mating arm instead of using glue.

The powder measure works much better now. Thanks, Horseman. :t

Return to “Topic Bucket”