Internet Wisdom?

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Internet Wisdom?

Post by mikld »

I'm sure this thread is not earth shattering important but I'm curious. On another forum, discussing crimping with a new reloader, some suggested copying a factory crimp for starters, and I agree. One forum Guru, (you know the kind I'm talking about, he had 4,000 posts and can (and does) answer every possible question asked), stated "won't help because factory crimps vary so much and some use glue". I'm not a factory ammo expert as I buy factory for use in a new gun only, maybe one box, and I have seen "waterproofing/sealant" on primers and bullets, mostly military, but never heard of glue. I started to reply, but I know I don't know everything about small arms ammunition and got to thinking. Yep it's very reasonable to figger factory crimps will vary, but any civilian ammo with glued bullets? Any thoughts?
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Internet Wisdom?

Post by Macd »

Never heard of glue. Like you lots of military, especially foreign has sealed necks and primers. I like the FCD as case length isn't critical.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Can't say much about factory ammo makers using a type of glue, sealants yes, that's about the limit of my knowledge there. Now, I can "rant" or "discuss" forum know-it-all's all day with you... :lol: Crimping can be a "hot button" topic in some places. Look up "proper crimp for 45 acp rounds" and see what comes up. 8-) I could continue for pages on some of the stuff the "experts" have said from "best" presses, dies, reloading scales, you name it. Fun stuff. :D I just do what I do, respond with what works for me and call everything good. Have to admit though, sometimes I wonder about some stuff I read. Some may think the same of me though....so. :?
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

all I can add is that the thread title in an oxymoron :)

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

mr surveyor wrote:all I can add is that the thread title in an oxymoron :)

jd

:lol: :lol: :lol:
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Some of the old GI stuff had a shellac like stuff used to seal the bullets . It often required a reaseating bump to pull ammo apart . Most of the modern sealants are more thinned nail polish like the blue stuff on FC primers . Brass used in threaded and pressed taper applications is 95% self sealing . Things like nickle and SS don't always work out . Dad was a plumber/pipe fitter .

Oh the gurus ! A guy asked on one of the social nets about using a cast 38 SWC in a 380 . Lee makes a 105 gr mould , 358-105 , if it'll feed no problem , right ? Being the guy that has put a 148 WC in a 9mm without any I'll effects and knowing that in standard loads 105 is the upper limit of the 380 for anything reasonably effective I say yes no problem .

Oh my the blow back . You'll explode the world if you put a .358 in a .355 380 ACP ! Y'all ain't measured many grooves have ya ? It never happens it's a death warrent to sell under or over sized ........ Shhhhhh don't tell that to 356 barreled 357 I had or that P95 with the .357 grooves .
I gave up "you're right dude I'll cease and desist immediately " ....... Whatever !?

Most factory crimps are like the Lee dies anyway and staked not rolled . Frankly if you don't sort , weigh lot , and trim every case in a micrometer lathe with single point tools the crimp consistency won't be nano perfect anyway ........

It matter when it does .
Load it , shoot it , find out .
Just because it didn't work doesn't mean it's a failure .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Agreed.

All of the best ideas I've gotten came from the internet. The books are not consistent and I don't try to go too far on my own. I don't know the authors of printed books as well as authors that type on the internet. Not sure why one got to be forbidden and the other is perfect. Well, neither is true. I don't try or even trust things most people post but I can tell who knows what they are doing.

Elmer didn't follow books.

I have loaded .357 cast into 9X19 fairly warm for use in a Blackhawk with a 9mm cylinder.

Wildcatter? No, just an experiment. Guess what? They were TOO SLOW and key-holed.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mikld

Post by mikld »

GasGuzzler wrote:Agreed.

I have loaded .357 cast into 9X19 fairly warm for use in a Blackhawk with a 9mm cylinder.

Wildcatter? No, just an experiment. Guess what? They were TOO SLOW and key-holed.
I've loaded .357" cast in my Tokerev 9mm because I hadn't modified my sizing die to .358" yet...

Return to “Topic Bucket”