concealed carry

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

concealed carry

Post by horseman »

Some of you fella's here may know that I picked up a FS RIA 45 acp of late and have been shootin' the "new'" off it for a month or two. Put somewhere around 1000 rounds through it (who's countin') and I also picked up a Don Hume thumb strap (condition one) pancake holster for it and I'm here to tell you all that it's a really nice setup. Now these full size 45's weigh in loaded around 2 1/2 pounds if I'm not mistaken but with this holster sittin' high and tight it's not a problem to carry or conceal even under a light over shirt. I'm 6 ft and weigh 180ish so I ain't a big guy but you won't see anything showin'. I kinda thought that the full size 1911 would be a bit much to carry all day but It's just been comfortable as can be. The ONLY problem I seem to have is I had to buy a new belt to carry this piece as it seems my other leather belts (two) seemed to have shrunk but I didn't know that as I seldom wear one, but needed to with this setup. Anybody else notice their leather belts shrinkin' ? Must be some cheap leather they use now-a-days.....

By the way, maybe shouldn't mention it but I think I've found my "carry" load. Hornady 230gr XTP out of Starline +P brass cruisin' along at an avg. velocity of 978fps. Might tone that down to around 950 but I sure like the way it shoots. Usin' Enforcer powder for that one. Under 20,000 psi. Hit over 1,000fps with a Silhouette load, same bullet, man that was a handful. When I read the numbers on the Chrono there was a question mark after the number :? not really......the avg was 1004. :shock:
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: concealed carry

Post by GasGuzzler »

I am 5'10" and 150 and my RIA pulls my pants down. Also makes me look like I have a large abnormal growth.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

With heavy handguns, I use a web belt with a Kydex stiffener. I pull up the first product that popped up, but I have them in several colors that are good looking enough to use as a dress belt. You can find them in different heights to match your pant belt loops as well.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2238120249
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

GasGuzzler wrote:I am 5'10" and 150 and my RIA pulls my pants down. Also makes me look like I have a large abnormal growth.

Then I'd carry it IWB right in front, kinda low..... probably should of kept that to myself, but I'm a guy so.. :lol: A high ride pancake holster may help that "abnormal" growth part. Also a pair of "sidewinders" will fix that pants falling down, I always wear them if I'm wearing chaps, they give me the problem you mention. Or like Ranch Dog said, if with a heavy gun belt I'll wear them also. Just to "keep things in place". And no, I don't wear them and a belt at the same time like Chester on the old Gunsmoke show. Never could figure that one out :?
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I've only carried it once. I have a very nice black leather Galco OWB that really isn't made to conceal a full size 1911 on a small guy in Texas weather. It's impossible to sit down with it there.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

GasGuzzler wrote:I've only carried it once. I have a very nice black leather Galco OWB that really isn't made to conceal a full size 1911 on a small guy in Texas weather. It's impossible to sit down with it there.
The Don Hume holster is for concealed carry. When I said it sit's high there is only 2inches of holster below the bottom of the belt. The front is cut out so you only have to draw the gun up 3 inches for the barrel to clear. I sit's in tight to your side (pretty much like any pancake style) so it is pretty easy to conceal along with the fact the 1911 is pretty thin to begin with but I definitely want at least a T shire between me and the gun. It's actually easier to conceal and carry than my SR9c in the Blackhawk rig. I may look to something like that for the Ruger as I'm not a fan of Kydex (or whatever they are) holsters anyway. They do work though.
BrianT
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by BrianT »

I really like my Kore Essentials belt. It is a much more sturdy platform for carry, than even my thickest leather carry belts. If anyone is looking for a EDC belt, check them out.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

No carry here except for competition and practise and Ihave difficulty finding trousers with sufficient belt loops of the required width and strength except those made for police etc. I did find some nice khaki milsurp trousers that were more dress-up but no luck since. Does anyone know of a brand specifically made for carry?
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Macd wrote: Does anyone know of a brand specifically made for carry?
5-11 comes to mind but there are others.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Don Hume makes nice stuff. I have never had a problem concealing a 1911 or even
A giant size stainless Ruger P345 but, at 6' & for the last 4 years been running 240- 250#
Before that stayed pretty consistent at 280 - 290# yeah I know I've heard it before.
" you could conceal a 50 cal with that build " Actually, no I can't, I tried?????? :D
Unfortunately, since shoulder replacement, strong side high rise or small of the back
Are out of the question. Now, IWB appendicts ?? or IWB cross draw or a little 22 in my pocket
Or both :D What I have found out over the years is, Be it IWB, OWB, concealed or open. A good, designed for the purpose, gun belt is essential. Get the best quality you can afford, be it leather, reinforced web, reinforced nylon, you won't be sorry, & it will last longer than you will..
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns

Return to “Topic Bucket”