setting up my AR

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

setting up my AR

Post by horseman »

I WILL NEVER, EVER, BUY ANOTHER SCOPE WITHOUT TARGET KNOBS......EVER!!!!!!!!!! I don't remember turning those little dials with a penny or nickel or whatever being such a PIA.....with target knobs you can hold on POA and turn the knobs to acquire your POI quite easily........pretty much done. Mounted an "older" scope I had doing nothing on my AR and went out to sight it in over my "battle sights", 34 rounds later I was finished and had it "close" to where I wanted. Still a bit off to the right but will address that later at distance. On another note, while doing this I realized I don't have near as many 223 loaded up as I thought. Will have to correct that post haste.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: setting up my AR

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sounds like you need a Load-Master set up for the 223!
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I only have one scoped AR and it hasn't been shot. My open sight AR can hit 8" from 200 yards by me and I'm not a good shot really. My scoped one has target turrets.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Nothing beats a good rest for sighting in scopes. Used to run a pre-season sight in at the club. I would probably do 15-20 myself. Unless the scope had issues I seldom used more then 4 rounds.

50 yard colour indicting targets
1. Laser bore sight.
2. 1st shot
3. Dial POA to POI
4. 2nd Shot to confirm
100 yard colour indicating target
5. 3rd shot
6. Adjust for elevation.
7. 4th shot to confirm

When sighting in for target shooting will spend more time and ammo shooting several shots per step to adjust group.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Ranch Dog wrote:Sounds like you need a Load-Master set up for the 223!

LOL, I've not tried that. I USED to load 223 on my old Dillon 450 and it worked pretty good but I sold that for some reason I don't remember... :roll: I've quite a lot of "processed" brass and all components needed for about 1000 rounds but I was thinkin' the Pro 2000. May re-think that. Would need a shell plate for the LM I think. Hafta' check.
A friend (my cow chasin' friend) called me today and during the conversation he asked me if I reloaded 9mm, I said sure what are you lookin' for. Said he "needed" some for a carry gun he picked up. Told him I had some 115gr Gold Dots loaded up at about 1150fps if that would do. He said that would do just fine, I asked if 500 would be enough. He just laughed and said Jeez Gus, 100 will be plenty. Told him to come up and get em'' I have quite a few.... :lol:
Macd,that's usually the way I do it also but this time I had to use the bucket on my tractor for a "rest" with a horse blanket for "cushion". :D TARGET KNOBS.....yes.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

With an AR I separate the upper from the lower, put the upper in the rest, and sight down the bore. Raise your head and look through the scope. Adjust scope. Go back and look through the bore. Repeat several times. Doing this I can get it within 6" of where I want it.

Then I don't count clicks. I give the scope a turn or a half a turn in the direction I want it to go. Shoot another round and see how much it moved. If I gave it a turn and it went from 4" low to 4" high then I back off a half a turn. Doing this it takes 4 or 5 rounds before I can start shooting groups and then tweaking a little based on the center of my group.

Return to “Topic Bucket”