All the buzz - Ruger 57

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

All the buzz - Ruger 57

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

At least it is in some of the locals I've visited. Sounds like a nice gun and about half the price of a FNH 57.

However, there is one thing I truly don't understand. People wanting Ruger to do a threaded barrel. Now why would you want to take a round whose performance is primarily predicated on little bullet at high velocity and slow it to sub sonic? Am I missing something or is this just Mall Commandos blowing smoke?

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: All the buzz - Ruger 57

Post by mikld »

Don't know much about the 5.7x28 ammo, but I agree, that trying to get 2,000+ fps ammo to shoot "quiet"
through a suppressor is just plain silly... ;)
larryw
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

mikld wrote:Don't know much about the 5.7x28 ammo, but I agree, that trying to get 2,000+ fps ammo to shoot "quiet"
through a suppressor is just plain silly... ;)
+1 It was designed as a speed demon ????? +corn
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

I kinda read up on the possibility of re-loading for it a few days ago. I didn't have any wind in my sails to buy one anyway, so the horror stories regarding reloading the 5.7x28 I found just solidified my "excuse" for ignoring it again. Some twelve or so years ago when I was first exposed to the FN I was getting pretty much infatuated with it. Then my "friend" said the ammo was costing him $40-50 per box ... and I wasn't re-loading then either. That initially took the wind out of my sails, even though at that time I could have scrounged out the money to buy the gun ... most certainly not now.

I guess there's a really good reason why the bottle necked semi-auto handgun rounds never really became the "go-to" configuration. But since I've never owned one, and definitely not re-loaded for one, I have no useful input. But, I'm still a bit intrigued with the bottle necked pistol round configuration.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

It still makes me tingle with the idea of a 22 mag length rifle for it .
But then so does a 256 mag on an Axis .......
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Never heard of it until this topic.

It's a bottle neck rifle round in a pistol so threaded doesn't seem all that weird to me.

Do I want one?

Yawn.

I'd rather have a .30-30 six shooter.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

RBHarter wrote:It still makes me tingle with the idea of a 22 mag length rifle for it .
But then so does a 256 mag on an Axis .......
Have to agree on both. Right now I'd like a Marlin 62 in 256. I have a 10" Contender in 256. I'm surprised that CZ or someone hasn't brought out a nice handy little bolt gun in 5.7x28. The indoor range where I have my membership has a FN 57 in their rental fleet. I ran about half a box of the FN ammo through it the other day. At the range FN brand ammo is going for 34.95 a box of 50. I have found that American Eagle brand is anywhere up to 10 bucks cheaper a box. There must be an interest in reloading it as at least 4 of the usual suspects make die sets and loading info is in several manuals.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

The fly in the 5.7 reloading is the case coating . It is as I understand it some super poly mirco thin slickum that's not really a do it at home thing . It keeps the cases from sticking in the pistols and the FN PS 90 rifles . It is self adhesive and flakes on the steel but doesn't stick and gets picked up by the next case . Vague , secret stuff stitched together from 3-4 articles . Non issue if a break or bolt . It also doesn't share a bolt face so it's a 1 off .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Topic Bucket”