Hoarding

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Hoarding

Post by orerancher »

Yesterday, Drove up to the only place in the County that sells Reloading Components....
The Shelves were pretty bare...

The Panic buying has started again....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Hoarding

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yep, got to buy from the start of the term to mid-term.
Michael
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

What county in OR? The pickings in Curry County are quite slim too. In my town, Brookings, there's only one store that sells primers and powder and some Hornady bullets. The other "real life gun store", the kind where a bunch of old fellers sit around and lie to each other, has nothing on the shelves and I haven't asked if they had any components or ammo in the back, probably not...
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by orerancher »

mikld wrote:What county in OR? The pickings in Curry County are quite slim too. In my town, Brookings, there's only one store that sells primers and powder and some Hornady bullets. The other "real life gun store", the kind where a bunch of old fellers sit around and lie to each other, has nothing on the shelves and I haven't asked if they had any components or ammo in the back, probably not...
Lincoln County, The only store that usually has a pretty good selection of Primers and Powder is the Bi-Mart in Lincoln City...
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Old Scribe »

There doesn't appear to be a shortage in Siskiyou County, tho' a long standing gun shop closed as the owner decided to retire. Every other place seems to be doing well.
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
mikld

Post by mikld »

Like the "Grasshopper and the Ant" story, it pays to be prepared... :lol:

I was shocked when I moved to So. Oregon. My first stop was the sporting goods store downtown. I looked around and when I saw no reloading stuff, I asked the owner about it. He replied he carried no reloading supplied as it wasn't worth the trouble and not enough profit to stock/sell any. There are two big box stores in town that sold guns and a few reloading supplies, but Fred Meyers went PC and removed all the guns and supplies from their shelves (they even stopped selling gun magazines). So that left us with one store that has limited powder, bullets (only Hornady) and a few Winchester and CCI primers, that is Bi-Mart. I haven't needed much powder and primers, and I refuse to pay Haz-Mat, so I've made do with what Bi-Mart sells...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

The only powder I can by on the shelf, the store has a great selection, is an 80-mile round trip. My problem with "shelf" powder is all the containers are a pound, and they are expensive.

I've never had a problem with the $15 HazMat fee and dislike 1 lb containers; I hardly get started in my reloading with that.

I like Grafs for powder because of their $10 flat rate shipping. They and other online powder suppliers will often run free HazMat offers, which Grafs is running now. I just placed an order to cover my slug guns for the next six-years, my buying cycle specifically for the ups and downs of our election cycle (it doesn't matter who runs or who holds the office).

Here is an excellent example of the savings of online vs. shelf. I bought a 1 lb (ugh) container of Long Shot and Blue Dot earlier this year. The averaged price of the two was $28.13. I'm buying those two (4 lbs LS & 5 lbs BD) now along with Steel (4 lbs) at an average price of $16.93/lb including the fixed shipping. The HazMat is free, but even if it were included, it would only at 94¢/lb.
Michael
Knighthawk

Post by Knighthawk »

The problem I see is gun/reloader nuts are always looking for a deal. Yeah, I know it makes sense, but, as you can see, you, me, all of us need to support the local owner operator every chance we have. As you can see with Fred Meyers, Dicks, Walmart, that it just's takes a couple of days for a corporation to drop the firearms and related products. They only look at the bottom line, but that's business, and firearms are just a small side line for them. Small price to pay for the PC benefit. So drive a little further, and pay a little more if you have to, to support a small timer that firearms and reloading is their business. If you do that, they might be there when you need something. Buying on line is becoming much more common, but, as an example California. You can no longer have ammo shipped to you, or drive ammo in from another State. I think you can still get reloading components, not sure, but, it's on the way out. The local shop prices have Haz-mat, and shipping figured in when you pick up the item. Yes there are good deals online, but, just takes a Bill passed by the Communist in your State Government and your done as your local gun shop went out of business from lack of support. You can also look at what is going on in Washington and Oregon States.
Yesterday I dropped by a local, newer store called Iron & wood, it has popped up in the last year. They are pretty much in the flavor of the old stores, going to suggest that they put in a couple of chairs and a coffee pot so we can relax to tell our important lies.
Their prices are below the box store, Sportsmen Warehouse in this case, and they carry a fair amount of reloading supplies. Nice comfortable place.

Return to “Topic Bucket”