Generally "Whatcha doing today" or this week ....?

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Generally "Whatcha doing today" or this week ....?

Post by mr surveyor »

It may just be a personal preference, but I'm never without a handgun - whether it's primary carry or a backup to a long gun .... never (unless the "law" says otherwise)

Just my unsolicited opinion. :)

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

mr surveyor wrote:It may just be a personal preference, but I'm never without a handgun - whether it's primary carry or a backup to a long gun .... never (unless the "law" says otherwise)

jd
+1

Glad everything went ok. Could have gotten sideways real quick.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

That close an old duck load would have done the job although 4B to 0000 probably would have been more acceptable .
No help with keeping the parts together .
I can honestly say I don't recall ever having a round get out of an action even on a short stroke . I'm glad he just walked on by . Good luck with the wings .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Honestly, and in my experience, shooting a large hog that is approaching you at close range with anything, can go sideways real quick. Being that hog was walking around me and not looking at me, he was better off being left alone. Their eyes tell you everything.

The only "carry" rule I have is when I cross the cattle guard heading to "human" country. Don't trust any SOB the other side of that crossing.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

So, check this out...

Yesterday, my dog and I started our evening walk. When we get up to the range, and I see a "turkey" strutting down by the 300-yard berm. This is the area that the hog event happened. There is a wildlife waterer behind the 300-yard berm, so there is always a bunch of critters down the range.
hog_040519.jpg
So, I think my wife would like to watch it as well. The three of us load up, but when we turn down the range, the critter is gone. So I just motor the Mule downrange thinking it might walk back out. I get 15-yards from that berm, and the large boar jumps out from behind the berm toward us and then into the brush. Less than a second. I would give him 290#. My Dianna has not seen a lot of hogs up close, and she thinks the ride was a setup to spook her, she's %@*&$. Luckily, I had taken the picture above and showed it to her. She agreed it did look like a turkey strutting.

I've always wanted a large hog around. I've known guys that have a big hog like this and they are just gentle and friendly as can be. I almost had one the year I retired. I had one show up and started letting him eat at the feeder and then slowly got him used to me feeding by hand. It was going good until I woke up at 2:00 one morning and he was tearing my yard up. With his big head, he had moldboard over an acre, not pasture land, but my yard. I walked straight out to him while he was digging, in boxer shorts and slippers, and shot him in the head.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Nothing anywhere near that exciting here poured rain yesterday all the way down and back from Hot Springs . Ms has a mouth full of gauze and pain management . It would appear she was one tooth short going in , lucky girl never got wisdom teeth either . The 12 yo has all 4 ready to pop any minute .......

Fogged in this morning . Yea team .

Did spend a little time fussing with the "new" treasures . I need the bushing nut , piston/adjustment rod , and lock nut for the small drum in the RCBS powder measure ........ Story of my Life .
I guess I better get going and get some Grits and scrambled eggs done up so's Ms can eat with me this morning .
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

mr surveyor wrote:It may just be a personal preference, but I'm never without a handgun - whether it's primary carry or a backup to a long gun .... never (unless the "law" says otherwise)

jd
+ 1 more
I sleep with a gun at arms reach, and a CC pistol goes on as my feet hit the ground. I have never had to use mine, but swmbo has used hers twice to stop someone from robbing her.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

RBHarter wrote:Fogged in this morning . Yea team .
Same here.
Michael
mikld
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I got sumpin' to do now! Yesterday I received 500 45 ACP once fired cases in the mail. I unpacked them and roughly sorted a bunch, mebbe 400 (I really have nothing to do in my reloading room!). I picked out mebbe 300 FC cases and dropped a bunch in my tumbler. I'll finish up sorting tomorrow or the next day (so far 90% are FC with a bunch of Federal and about 10% mixed). I haven't used the citric acid/soap solution in many years so I did about 100 and remembered how well it works. I'll finish processing the 500, mebbe sizing a bunch and priming a couple hundred, then start looking for something else to do, unless the rain stops... :roll:

Re.; Carrying. I never carry a weapon as I don't want to break the law, I don't have a CCL and I'm a law abiding citizen. Also, I never carried a weapon when I was working in LA, especially when doing field calls/equipment repairs in So. Central LA, even at night. I never had any weapons in my car commuting during the riots, my 2, 45 ACP pistols, 38 snub and extra magazines (4) and revolver ammo (2 speed loaders) stayed home. Even during the "quiet times" my guns stayed in the safe, locked up and well secured. It's against LA City policy for any employee to carry weapons, even if working alone in East LA, or So. Central (Compton/Watts) and of course policy is most important... We need a barf smilie.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I've live the vast majority of my life where to carry on not was a choice concealed with a CCW , open without , now I live in a place where I can carry however I want and it's funny I just don't feel the need to carry for my safety or anyone else of course it's still in close proximity just because it can be .

My sawmill still hasn't shipped something about my payment card I guess now .
I muddled about in the reloading corner some last night canned the dies without a chamber and I think tonight I'll fuss around with the new to me steel 45 Colts dies and see if they're as good as represented .

Return to “Topic Bucket”