Rebuilding Benchtop

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
kmw1954
My Press Choice: Progressive

Rebuilding Benchtop

Post by kmw1954 »

Just getting underway with rebuilding my benchtop. The top I was using is a piece of high density compressed Industrial Desk Top that is 1.125" thick and very heavy for it's size. This bench is 48X30 with a reclaimed kitchen base cabinet on each side with the bench top 26" above the floor. The base cabinets are topped with just a pcs. of 3/4" ply that is 2X2.

The reason for the change is that I had the new Breech Lock Pro mounted to the top of one of the base cabinets and with my leg problems it was just too high and I want to move it down there the Pro1000 is.

The new top will be 2'X4' made with 3/4" ply laminated together and then I have a piece of 16"X10"X3/8" steel plate that I am adding where the presses will be mounted. the plate will be routed and recessed and the a pcs of 1/4" Masonite with top off the plywood and everything should be flush.

This steel plate will also be drilled and tapped for the bases of the Pro1000 and turret press and also the ABLP which has a different bolt patter. Then I will be able to swap out presses when needed and keep things neat and orderly.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Rebuilding Benchtop

Post by daboone »

Your bench is going to serve you long and well, er well till you run outta space and start the soon to be adjacent bench. :P
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

daboone wrote:Your bench is going to serve you long and well, er well till you run outta space and start the soon to be adjacent bench. :P
I would prefer to even have the bench in a completely separate building .... at undisclosed location ... with no phone ... no distractions .... wishful thinking

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
kmw1954

Post by kmw1954 »

mr surveyordaboone wrote:I would prefer to even have the bench in a completely separate building .... at undisclosed location ... with no phone ... no distractions .... wishful thinking
jd
Not a problem here, Empty nesters with an empty spare upstairs room. Has a nice view of the back yard also. Also has a door with a key lock doorknob.

Was able to get into the garage and found a nice leftover pc of 7ply 3/4" ACX. 96"X25" will work nicely. Already have it cut to 48" and the inside surface already sanded and cleaned so I should get good adhesion with the Glue. Tomorrow it's to the hardware store.
kmw1954

Post by kmw1954 »

daboone wrote:Your bench is going to serve you long and well, er well till you run outta space and start the soon to be adjacent bench. :P
That one is already done. It's also what I'm using to build this new top on.
kmw1954

Post by kmw1954 »

Finally just about have this bench completed, just a few finishing touch ups and trim to make it look pretty. I sure do wish it wasn't as difficult to post pictures because I have a bunch of them.

The bench work top is 48" long and 26" deep after trimming in the edges. I went with the hardboard Masonite to finish off the top of the bench. The steel plate was cut down to 10"X8.25" and I used 5/16" socket buttonhead machine screws to fasten the press to the plate.

Currently I have the ABLP press mounted and just now tested it by running a few cases thru the sizing die and WoW this thing is rock steady. No movement anywhere with one exception. I didn't notice this before because the bench top was flexing but now I see that at the top of the ram stroke and with the handle all the way down I am noticing some flex in the press it's self. I think it is coming from the linkage but I will have to watch closer to confirm. Will also put the Pro1000 on the bench to see if it is doing the same thing.
Jeff H
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Jeff H »

I like the idea of D/T'ing the metal plate. Never thought of that.

Lag screws into the wood don't thrill me and through-bolts with washers and nuts underneath are a pain to uninstall/reinstall.
kmw1954

Post by kmw1954 »

Jeff H wrote:I like the idea of D/T'ing the metal plate. Never thought of that.

Lag screws into the wood don't thrill me and through-bolts with washers and nuts underneath are a pain to uninstall/reinstall.
The whole reason for using 3/8" steel plate. Yes it is very heavy for it's size, it does add some strength and resistance to torqueing but mostly because it will hold those 5/16" screws very well. Aluminum threads have a tendency to stretch and strip out over time.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

When my benches started shrinking I thought of a few different methods to make them continue to be usable. one method that works very well is T-nuts. I use 5/16-18 T-nuts on the underside of my benches to quickly attach/remove equipment. They hold quite well and I am able to really torque down 5/16-18 SS bolts. The hole in the bench top has not been a problem in the 10 years they have been there, nuttin' falls in them...

Had I thought of it, the base plate, drilled and tapped for my presses, may have been my choice. Excellent idea...

https://www.mcmaster.com/tee-nuts
kmw1954

Post by kmw1954 »

For sure on the Tee nuts. I have them in a number of spots on this build to aide in disassembly if the need ever arises.

My thinking was also that the predrilled holes will hold up longer with the constant removal I suspect plus the size and shape of the steel plate will help spread the load over a larger area. Most presses have a pretty small footprint.

Return to “Topic Bucket”