Way out in the weeds ........

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Way out in the weeds ........

Post by RBHarter »

As far a reloading any way .

As many of you know I'm kind of a tight wad when it comes to buying buying components I'll squeeze a 45 ACP out of an 06' with stops at any place that the neck split doesn't affect .

Obviously I use tools that are inexpensive where I can and get the results I need otherwise I wouldn't be here .

So we're building a house which is as of today 9 months behind schedule .... Plenty of stories there I won't go there , leaving it at MIL , steps , dog , travel , contractors Dad's departure and life running over me like a 43' penny welded to R/R tracks .....

This morning I placed an order for a saw mill . I will have to get some more bands right away , and likely have to build a rail extension , but it's going to pay for itself in fairly short order .
The land that the house will live on has roughly 4000 trees per acre mostly oak . Yeah , I'm having a moment getting the idea of oak lap siding to gel fortunately there is an abundance of pine , cedar , gum and some hickory also . With basic lumber going towards $0.75/ft this makes good sense . It will start off by saving me about 15 yd of cement and buying something on the order 90 sheets of plywood/sturdy board and siding for floors and exterior walls . Dad had sanders , plainers , routers , wood lathe , jointer , dove tail jigs , and a host of other tools to make really nice wood faces from 3/8 cedar closet T&G to solid and panel in set doors . He just never bought the mill . All the houses we built and all if the money he spent on nice wood and he didn't buy one when he finally had 21 acres of lumber to use for all the stuff he built and lumber he has/had laid in and he still didn't do it .

So that'll be here in a week or so . I had intended to go out today and set grade and lines but kids , cranky Ms , and angry sinuses have derailed that ...... I think I'll shop plumbing maybe new USB fitted outlets and heat capture dryer vents .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Way out in the weeds ........

Post by Macd »

As the Aussies say "Good on you mate!" Building something with ones own hands is a joy. Building one's home is an incredible experience few people will ever get to know. I wish you all the best in getting through the pain and enjoying the pleasure.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

As we say in Texas, "good on ya!"
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Metal arch shell . I don't know which I dislike the most cement or shingles . At least I only have to do cement once and the arch building should fix ever having to do roof work . Having all of the tools to make doors , cabinets , tungue and groove and ship lap for siding and floors goes a long long ways .

I've been building on a house since I was about 3 . It's that this time around with any kind of luck at all a family of great grands will live in the house as a last move .
Of course no one in our family in at least 5 generations before me has so that's kind of a pipe dream .
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Just out of curiosity, what's the plan for curing the the DIY milled lumber?

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Eventually I want to get a Sea/MILvan/container , preferably a side opening unit .
That gives me more or less a solar powered kiln/heat treatment oven . In the meantime I have a box van up to 12ft to dry things out a little faster .
36×36×96 to 144 bundles with 3-4 bands and separators in each layer for air flow .

Return to “Topic Bucket”