Toy Collections?

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Toy Collections?

Post by daboone »

Blame this topic on LarryW and Horseman. Apparently the 3 of us not only love to reload but collect related tools as well. Not just collect but play with them. I bet anyone reading this understands. It seems trying to figure out how they work and how to improve their performance is in every reloaders blood. Heck I can just sit and feel an innate pride looking at my bench, after the latest project gets cleaned up. :roll:

I've been collecting powder measures and scales for a long time. Spent hours testing them, keeping notes about each performed, and even using them for actual reloading. Heck I even build stuff to enhance or improve their ease of use. Examples are: powder measure stands, enclosures and leveling platforms for scales with better lighting and magnifiers.

It seems tweaking (not twerking :lol:) presses and our tools is a never ending pursuit filled with love, anguish, and satisfaction. It is one of the way ornery old ugly retired guys keep their sanity. :roll:

Every now and then I buy an old toy just to have an excuse to keep the brain cell(?s) rattling. Here is the latest purchased while sitting in an airport awaiting a flight to visit one of my daughters. Can't wait for it to arrive and start messing with it.

An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Toy Collections?

Post by horseman »

That's a pretty cool "toy' daBoone. Just looking at the picture I (think) I have it figured out. Oil reservoir on the end, appears one of the "agates" is missing. The pointer end has me confused a bit as to how that works. O.K. I don't have it figured out..... :lol: I like it. The problem I see with this one or one like that is the four leveling screws. I've tried many times to "level" a three legged stool or 4 leg table and all I ever get is shorter, and shorter legs. :D Keep an eye on Larry will ya', I think he may be getting a little out of control.... :lol: Oh, by the way, I'm not ornery..... 8-)
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

Totally understand! While my collections are mostly hit and miss, I have wound up with 5 scales. I have 3 oil dampened scales, a Redding #1, a Santa Fe, and a Pacific (?). I also have most of an old Ideal powder measure, missing drop tubes, an unmarked, really nice case trimmer (stainless steel, aluminum, and oak base), but no pilots, one unmarked Pacific Pistol Powder Measure type powder measure and a Hornady/Pacific one too. Some of my toys (junk?) are usable some not, but most look good ... :lol:

I have been staying away from auction sites and ebay because I'm running out of shelf space...
mikld

Post by mikld »

horseman wrote:That's a pretty cool "toy' daBoone. Just looking at the picture I (think) I have it figured out. Oil reservoir on the end, appears one of the "agates" is missing. The pointer end has me confused a bit as to how that works. O.K. I don't have it figured out..... :lol: I like it. The problem I see with this one or one like that is the four leveling screws. I've tried many times to "level" a three legged stool or 4 leg table and all I ever get is shorter, and shorter legs. :D Keep an eye on Larry will ya', I think he may be getting a little out of control.... :lol: Oh, by the way, I'm not ornery..... 8-)
I think there is a scale/hash marks under the stop lever in the pic.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I go through once a year and resell what I don't use.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

horseman wrote: The problem I see with this one or one like that is the four leveling screws. I've tried many times to "level" a three legged stool or 4 leg table and all I ever get is shorter, and shorter legs.
Yep I discovered this all by myself just last week with a leveling table I made just for scales. It is possible but I'm making a new 3 legged table/stand as soon as I return to Phoenix. It took to long, to much fiddling around to get it to level every time I moved it to the other bench.

GasGuzzler wrote:I go through once a year and resell what I don't use.
Not saying I haven't sold stuff but mostly just trade, loan or give stuff away to my reloading friends and my kids. For me it's a win win as they never fail to reciprocate. Just a few days ago I had a scale that was so frustrating to use I told LarryW I was going to take a hammer and beat it just to release the pent up anger it had caused. Larry saved it from certain death and claims he LOVEs it. Well that just proves something is wrong with that old man's mind.

One of the scales in my collection is a 20 year old Lee Safety Scale. It is as good as any reloading scale I've ever used and it can detect just 2 grains of 4895. It will not be traded, loaned or given away, it is just that good.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:One of the scales in my collection is a 20 year old Lee Safety Scale. It is as good as any reloading scale I've ever used and it can detect just 2 grains of 4895. It will not be traded, loaned or given away, it is just that good.
Same here, mine is the same age.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

RD I'm sure you have an amazing collection of Lee Precission oldies but goodies. Come on show off some of your collectables!

larryw

Post by larryw »

[quote="daboone"] I told LarryW I was going to take a hammer and beat it just to release the pent up anger it had caused. Larry saved it from certain death and claims he LOVEs it. Well that just proves something is wrong with that old man's mind.

Well ??? The mind might be jello but, that scale works fine for me :D :D
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Y'all have the only to Safety Scales that don't defy the laws of physics.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Topic Bucket”