Toy Collections?

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Toy Collections?

Post by daboone »

The enjoyment of collecting PMs and scales, including a Gen6 which is both, is purely for learning the myths of advertisements and occasionally finding a real (IMO) handloaders dream tool. I'll add entertainment to that list. Learning how to correctly use a press, scale, powder measure, trimmer is fun. Failure to learn how to use a tool is why some reloader bash us lowlife Lee lovers. :D

Last edited by daboone on 02 Feb 2019 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I have an old Redding I got here about 4 yr ago I think I set it up maybe 2x to check it against the old Lyman Ohaus M5 . I have 3 of those , one is basically new in box . They represent 3 generations of reloading as the all but NIB was my grandfather's the one that has high mileage was Dad's and I bought one just about a year ago . I know , I know . But me and that safety scale just didn't communicate well .
As for sensitivity the M5 will show over/under for single fat kernels of IMR 4350 . I don't know how much that is but it ain't much .

I've had a half dozen tricklers through the years and honestly some times it's faster and easier to just fill up a magnum rifle case and use that . The 70s vintage Redding dumbel shaped one was really nice the old hour glass RCBS fits me better , none of them are tall enough really it seems like I'm forever bumping them picking up the pan .

Powder measures ......... Well I sent the Lee's on their way nothing in particular about them that I didn't like . Well I have an old powder lot I'm grinding away at that weighs light per volume or something and the discs were a long way from book charts to my scales . Very consistent I'll say . I have a couple of RCBS Uniflows that make me happy but that too have their quirks . If anyone has a small drum laying around ...... I have them set up to remove 95% of thinking about the bump quirk . Just lift to charge drop the handle . Built a baffle for them . Rock solid now dropping within. .05 gr when I do my part from 3.0 Unique to 6? Of 4350 .

Presses have followed me home too I think there are 10 or so , just added Dad's stuff so there may be closer to a dozen ......oh and shotgun presses probably more like 15-16 ........
Had a couple of Lee's full sets of bushings top trays etc they worked great ........hated unloading them after a run , and the sizing rings kept wandering off .

Bullet moulds there's a place that o can relate to Lee ! Guys have temper tantrums and I'm like if ya hate that much and can't make um run I'll pay shipping and $5 each .......turns out that they're mostly closet low life's appearently . About 1/3 of my moulds are Lee and not all new style and 6 cavities either . Fact is if not for Lee I wouldn't be casting and I wouldn't have electric pots . NOE showed me top shelf excellence and a level of value a cut above Lee but I look for a Lee mould as often as any others . Sometimes they don't work out for my needs but I'd rather have a $20 2 cavity failure than an $80-90 single . Besides iron is hard to fix if it just needs to be a touch bigger . The 6 cavity moulds make production a breeze and I have several of those for pistols . I'd have more if more rifle bullets were offered .
Moulds are something that I seem to collect as working tools as much as to show them around .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I got my first Safety Scale pre-web so I didn't know it wouldn't work. Yep, it was a bit slower to "settle" but I used it with my dippers for quite a while (I read about and tried a rare earth magnet on the bench under the pan, works). Once when I was just playing around, I weighed a piece of single ply toilet paper, about the size of a dime. It worked!. Can't remember the exact weight, but the old SS did weigh it. One thing I really like about the SS is the locking poise feature. Set it, lock it, and it stays put. I also have a Lyman D5 that when I remove the pan too quickly or bump the beam, the 1/10th gr. poise will jump. I had to dump and reweigh 40, 44 Magnum charges of WC 820 'cause somewhere along the line the poise jumped .3 of a grain heavy... :o
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Here is a little example of 35/38 cal ........
I appearently can't decide on a bullet shape or weight class .
IMG_20190128_144216707~3.jpg
Collection indeed . These range from a .358 RB and a 358-88 to the not yet in hand 35-250 with stops at 125,148,158, 195 ,200 ,228 gr .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yep, 35 cal addiction.
Michael

Return to “Topic Bucket”