Wax Bullet Kit

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Wax Bullet Kit

Post by daboone »

I couldn't resist this Ebay temptation; Lyman Accu-Wax reloading Kit. No direction, no box it came in, no information at all except it was call Lyman Accu-Wax Bullet Making Kit. I spent a lot of yesterday Googling for info for the directions but that was for nada.

So more of my retired life's time went to figuring it out. :roll: The decapper rod, primer seater and the wax was the easy part, almost. The Primer seater devise didn't except regular shellholders. All this cogitating eventually required a nap. ;)

Naps are GOOD! I woke up realizing the what part did what.

I've figured out this kit is for the a .38spl. using the old style Lymans shellholders. In this case it's a #1 for .38spl, which is good news because I have a ,38spl.

In the photo above is the base for primer removal is on top of the melted wax. Each of the steps is the size of different case's heads/bases for holding the case during primer removal. A kind of universal decapping tool base.

The block of wax (that came with the kit) was actually sheets of wax separated by wax paper. That wasn't obvious at first because of some melting that occurred during it life here in Phoenix Arizona. These sheets are about 1/2in thick separated by wax paper. When a case is pushed thru a sheet the bullet is seated. I figured this out when I melted this blob of wax, into a flat bar about 1/2in thick.

The moral of the story is I can now shoots wax reloads using only a primer inside my house at an empty milk jug, cardboard box or anyone that thinks a retired old man is losing his ..... ( actually these would be very harmful so that's a no-no)
+guns
Last edited by daboone on 24 Jan 2019 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Et2ss
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Wax Bullet Kit

Post by Et2ss »

That's kind of cool.

Kind of a 'gallery' load
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Ya I am intrigued. Sure would help fill in the hours on a cold winter day.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Macd wrote:Ya I am intrigued. Sure would help fill in the hours on a cold winter day.
Gonna be 70 here today! :P

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I tinkered with the wax bullet thing in 38 spl about 5-6 years ago. Just using some basics of what I had around - deprimer punch and cup from a Lee Classic Loader, a Lee hand primer tool, and some plain old brittle "canning wax". I knew I needed either bee's wax, Vasoline, or something else to make the proper projectiles, but didn't get any farther than basic, backyard experiments. I did discover through research, and comparative experiments (completely segregating the brass used for the wax bullets for necessary safety requirements) that the flash holes need to be drilled a bit wider to allow the primer to do it's thing. Also, the suggestions I found in the search noted that the primers should NOT be installed until the wax bullet has been planted by pushing the brass into the softened wax. It wasn't for fear of popping the cap so much as it was an acknowledgement of basic physics .... if the primer is installed first, pushing the brass into the wax is going to result in compressing the air trapped in the brass - it's going to definitely lead to a loosened projectile (or as someone's www/internet primer stated that it could ? unseat the already installed primer).

Even though the crumbly canning wax wasn't exactly proper, it was still fun to pop in the back yard. I'm not sure why I just dropped it

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Mr Surveyor I wished you had posted this info before I post this in the first place. :P I learned the hard way about priming before seating the wax. I'm just using the wax that came with the kit. I did see there several wax bullet formula on the WWW.

The coolest thing about this kit is the decapper base, it fits multi calibers.

larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Now tell the truth, You are going to be using these indoors on the range from the couch to your bench.
Or, You are going to attract fly's to your wax bullet trap on your bench, & pop the little pest from the couch.
Am I right or am I right ???? Enjoy old buddy.. + +corn +corn
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns

Return to “Topic Bucket”