Memory Lane

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Et2ss
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Memory Lane

Post by Et2ss »

Well those Schmidt's in today's dollars would be $116.05

I'd take at least 10 !!!
Jeff H
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Jeff H »

I got a kick out of the Checker Superba ad/blurb. Nostalgic on a personal level.

I remember my dad ranting about "the car a guy SHOULD buy is a Checker!" Claimed "they'd run forever" and you could "get up and walk around in the back seat." This sermon came about every time he made the mistake of thinking he could get along with a Ford made after 1964.

He was always a die-hard Ford fan (mostly Y-Block vintage) and some Chrysler trucks (as long as it was a slant-six), but the ultimate car to be had, in his mind, was a Checker. Since by that time they had switched to Chevy small block V-8s (mid-sixties?), I'm guessing it was a 283, because it was the only Chevy V-8 he ever gave much credit.

I'd bet money that if someone trailered in a well-kept Checker and left it in his driveway, he'd dig a Ford 312 V-8 out of the basement, or the reconditioned long block Chevy 235 straight six out of the back of the closet (where it's been since the mid seventies) and put it in that car. He used to have performance parts for both, but he sold a bunch of stuff a few years ago. I'm sure the car would end up with a four-speed with a "granny gear" from a '58 F-350 and probably the rear axle too. That would be the ultimate car to my dad.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Funny about the Checker, my dad would go on about them as well. I would tell him I bet that he would get tired of someone jumping in the back seat at every stop he made.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'm in my 40's and a girl in my high school drove a Checker. It didn't fit in with my 396 Chevelle or my friends' GTO, Mustang (the only good kind) or Chevy II.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:I'm in my 40's and a girl in my high school drove a Checker. It didn't fit in with my 396 Chevelle or my friends' GTO, Mustang (the only good kind) or Chevy II.
Poor girl. She must have hated her lot in life.
Michael

Return to “Topic Bucket”