Target camera?

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Target camera?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Et2ss wrote:I like the camera system, but with my luck, I'd probably pop it on my first outing with it :lol:
It sits far enough off to the side that should not happen.
horseman wrote:Just opened all my presents, was looking for one of those "Caldwell Shooting cameras, nope...underwear... :D
As a kid, I figured when that happened it represented an updated version of the old "lump of coal". Might have to be better this year, but I bet we can figure out how that plays out! 8-)
mikld wrote:I've seen small cameras that work with Bluetooth to a phone (sorta like the doorbell cameras that you can monitor from your phone). I was thinking something like that might work, but I can't find much... :cry:
I'm not sure that Bluetooth can go that distance, even 50 yards. Just looked it up and the common class 2 Bluetooth is only good for 33'. The uncommon Class 1, 330'. Okay, found some of them online but they seem to start in the $150 range. The 100-meter range (330') was listed as a maximum under optimal conditions (?).
Michael
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

Well after a bit more on line searching I've a bunch of $300+ cameras systems and I found a couple "do it yerself" target cameras, but they seemed pretty involved. I guess a target camera will go on the "It would be nice to have, but..." list.

Thanks fellers...
Et2ss
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by Et2ss »

mikld

I'm of the same mindset. I would like one, but am relatively cheap.

I did buy one of these Maksutov-Cassegrain scopes (I actually got it on sale + a coupon code for $119 with free shipping), I have been able to easily see hits on steel out to 768 yds (haven't used it any further).

It came with 2 eyepieces a 39X and a 100X and 45* Image erector. Even on our 'close' target stand (167 yds) I can easily spot .17 HMR holes on old grey weathered plywood. It really is an amazing scope for the $. It's certainly not 'tactical' but it works very well

It is really made for celestial viewing, but with the 45* image erector, it works as a spotter. A couple of years ago my kids and I were able to spot 4 of Jupiter's moons with it. Just chuck the flimsy tripod, and use something decent.
mikld

Post by mikld »

I ordered one of these, sorta on a whim, sorta out of curiosity. Mebbe it'll help this old man... :roll:
https://navygadgets.com/products/maverick
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Interesting, looking forward to the report!
Michael
Winton
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Winton »

mikld wrote: 27 Dec 2018 12:36 I ordered one of these electric log splitters, sorta on a whim, sorta out of curiosity. Mebbe it'll help this old man... :roll:
https://navygadgets.com/products/maverick
That scope seems like a pretty decent buy for that price. Did you have a chance to test it out yet, Mikld?
Last edited by Winton on 12 Feb 2024 05:25, edited 2 times in total.
mikld

Post by mikld »

I should a known better. Yep the scope arrived and its a small (6" long) scope with a cheap plastic assembly that is supposed to hold a phone. You are supposed to fix the phone in the holder and align it with the lens. My phone is too heavy and slips out of the holder. The scope is OK as it has a decent zoom, fair clarity, and handy. But it is small, difficult to keep on target and is so light a gust of wind might blow it off the bench. I'll keep it for a "pack scope" or extra "just in case" kept in my truck scope. I might try it with my wife's phone. I guess I'm a sucker for a gadget...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Bummer...
Michael
EugeneNine

Post by EugeneNine »

I'm thinking of picking up a used GoPro Session, they transmit over Wifi
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Range can be a problem over blue tooth but wifi may make it.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns

Return to “Topic Bucket”