Reloading Manuals old and new

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Reloading Manuals old and new

Post by horseman »

As I cruise around the internet checking different reloading sites (I am a member on three) I've ran into quite a few folks that seem to enjoy sitting back reading their manuals, old and new (at least they say they do). How many of you enjoy doing this ? Like many/most of you I have several, some dating back to the 50's and I think the newest is Lyman's 48th that I bought when it first came out. I've read most of them all the way through (not the load data of course) at one time or another but it's been a loooooong time ago. Well I thought I would give it a shot again since so many seemed to enjoy it enough to write about it. So I sat down the other evening with an old Lyman manual and started reading on how to "properly" reload a cartridge from start to finish including different types equipment and useful tools, well you guys know what I'm talking about. I must admit it worked and I enjoyed it immensely. I'll bet it didn't take more than 10 minutes and I was sound asleep. Best I've slept in a while, didn't wake up till 6 the next morning. Think I may do that more often. Maybe I'll get to page 3 next time. :lol:
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Reloading Manuals old and new

Post by daboone »

I have at least 7 different manuals going back 20 years. I do like having the resources but my own records/love are go-to references. Years of load workups, trials and errors are my bench bibles.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

I'm the same way, I love to find old manuals ( & scales, measures, presses ) Oop's sorry.
I read them all through. Getting hard to find now, at least out here.
I especially like the notes on the note pages & margins. Sometimes I can almost
see the person at there bench or on the range.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Et2ss
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Et2ss »

It's been a while but I love reading through 'Pet Loads' by Ken Waters.

It's a 2 volume set, runs about $60 on amazon. It's got a good bit on history of the cartridges, case forming (if applicable) and idiosyncrasies of the particular cartridges.

Really worth the $
Fyodor
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

I read my first reloading book from cover to cover before I had my licence to reload. It was "Handbuch für den Wiederlader" (handbook for reloaders) by K.D. Meyer. The latest issue was 1977, so it's technical parts are way outdated. But it is written so well with quite a bit of humor, that it was actually fun to read. And the basics are still the same, just the tools changed. I learned a lot from that book.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I think most of y'all like reloading more than I do. I am privileged to have some knowledge and equipment and that's about the extent of it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Love to read. I frequent the used book stores and have a decent electronic library including the ABC's of Reloading by Rodney James. This and Lee's book are the ones I suggest to new entrants to the fold.
Last edited by Macd on 18 Dec 2018 07:27, edited 1 time in total.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I actually did read the Speer #12 and most of the Lyman #48 and shotshell #3 .
The Speer was ok but I remember the Lyman casting section being revisited and reading a lot like Charlie Brown's teacher sounds . " Mwot woat want want waont expensive tool mwant waant woat expensive die . Mwot waont want waont $900 to start , ingot moulds ." Caused me to put off starting it for the better part of 5 yr .
I do love the "why balistians get grey" article in between the rifle and pistol data in the Speer #12 .

I have #15,47,48&50 Lymans , a 74' printed Hornady , Speer #12 , Sierra , Herters , PO Ackley Handbook , Pet loads and Notebook , plus a binder of data sheets from various makers and Quick Load runs , with everything from rifle powder fueled pistol cartridges for carbines to BP and substitutes for assorted cartridges . Additionally I'm all but writing a book for each gun as I go along . ..........

Yes I'm into old books and current production . I do reread portions of them now and then . Enjoy reading the basics again ?????? No not so much but occasionally I do find a platinum core gold plated Pearl that explains why what I did worked like it did ....... Sometimes it also sheds light on the cow patty .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Fyodor wrote:I read my first reloading book from cover to cover before I had my licence to reload. It was "Handbuch für den Wiederlader" (handbook for reloaders) by K.D. Meyer. The latest issue was 1977, so it's technical parts are way outdated. But it is written so well with quite a bit of humor, that it was actually fun to read. And the basics are still the same, just the tools changed. I learned a lot from that book.

That sounds like it may be the same book I was "trying" to read..... :lol: I don't read or speak German.... :(
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

GasGuzzler wrote:I think most of y'all like reloading more than I do. I am privileged to have some knowledge and equipment and that's about the extent of it.

An answer I truly can appreciate...... :t

Return to “Topic Bucket”