Back in the saddle. Back to my roots!

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Back in the saddle. Back to my roots!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Dan 444 wrote:Good for ya', Michael.

I haven't flown since I stopped driving that F4G in 1972.
Thanks, Dan. I started flying in Jan of '71. The fellow that taught me how to fly owned a spray plane operation, he flew Spads in WWI. I think about that a lot, I wonder how that old fellow had such patience with me.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Ranch Dog wrote:.......he flew Spads in WWI. I think about that a lot, I wonder how that old fellow had such patience with me.
Very cool time in your life's story!

I was fortunate to work in hospitals for 35 years. I had the opportunity to chat with several WWI and WWII vets, both men and woman. Each one that would talk had amazing stories of their lives during those historical times. Some were actual front line heroes and the others not on the front lines were heros too doing incredible things during trying times. Everyone of those heros left me with a sense of heartfelt wonder. In my 72 years I've never known the hardships and bravery these Heros lived through.

One of them, my dad, also had such "patience" with this brat thankfully.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Dan 444

Post by Dan 444 »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Dan 444 wrote:Good for ya', Michael.

I haven't flown since I stopped driving that F4G in 1972.
Thanks, Dan. I started flying in Jan of '71. The fellow that taught me how to fly owned a spray plane operation, he flew Spads in WWI. I think about that a lot, I wonder how that old fellow had such patience with me.
Interesting. I grew up in Horseheads, NY about 3 miles from the Schwiezer Aircraft factory, which produced the bi-plane "Ag Cat". They were located on a broad, flat plain adjacent to a small "crick" where I used to frequently, almost daily, fish when I was kid. They would flight test each Ag Cat as it came off the assembly line. This would happen 3 to 4 times a day. Man, those big radial engines were LOUD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schweizer_Aircraft

Have fun with that 172!

Dan
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

That is really cool. Thank you for sharing with us. Very interesting and enjoyable. I am very happy for you.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.
EdgeOfEden

Post by EdgeOfEden »

I can hear the music now,"Fly the friendly skies with Ranch Dog." Seriously while it's been many years since I piloted a plane, there's a freedom in the air that we just don't experience being earthbound. Seeing your pictures from the cockpit reminded me of that wonderful feeling. I'm happy that even for a few hours a week you are able to once again fly above the noise and craziness of our chaotic world.

I had no idea that you were a pilot, but it does not surprise me. The precision you've shown in reloading and instructing others I'm sure has been equally reflected in your flying. Congrats on being able to do what you love.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

I love to watch Agg pilots spraying a field. I will pull off the road and sit and watch. I love it when they get to the end of the field and pull up into a near stall and turn 180 to regain speed and pull out just above the crop.
I have talked to a bunch of them and most have had a couple of crashes that they obviously survived.
The first time I ever went up in a plane I was 16 In a J3 cub and the pilot was Barry Seal.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

farmerjim wrote:The first time I ever went up in a plane I was 16 In a J3 cub and the pilot was Barry Seal.
How about that. My wife and I are watching Netflix's Narco, and the last episode, he got put away.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Aviation is a small world you're either isolated completely or know someone of note , or someone that does/did .

The guy I logged my J4 Cub time with knew the pilot that flew Bugsy Segal to Long Beach the last time he went anywhere . Quite a story actually .

My Dad traded check rides with a guy . Dad had time in a 182 which the guy needed a check ride in for insurance purposes . So Rr Adm David Griggs let Dad do the take off from Fallon Nv , flight , and landing at Stead Nv signing off his check ride in a North American AT6-D circa 1943 . David was the guy that devised and operated the capture net/fly swatter on the space shuttle .

I hung out with a personal pilot to the governor and first lady of Arkansas ...... Cool then , not so much now .

Had dinner , drinks , etc with a dozen names . Turned out they are ......were just people .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Topic Bucket”