Back in the saddle. Back to my roots!

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Back in the saddle. Back to my roots!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Its been four years since I retired and I haven't been at the controls of an airplane since. My start in aviation revolved around industrial aviation — specifically, operations supporting the oil & gas industry in Texas. At the start, I flew pipeline patrol... a lot of pipeline patrol. 5,000 hours in four years. From that, I working my way up through a large energy corporation's flight department, becoming the Director of it, and then on to the airlines. With my love of the South Texas brush, I loved the patrol flying, and never tired of seeing the amazing amount of wildlife that you do from 300' to 500'.

Every Friday, a patrol plane comes past my house, following a right of way just across the highway. Two weeks ago, my wife was getting in her car to go visit her aunt in deep South Texas, and as we were saying goodbye, the patrol plane flew past. I said: "I wouldn't mind doing that again." She said, "you never know, maybe you will." Sunday morning, my dog and I walked out the highway to pick up my dad's paper. He was making waffles for us (dog included of course), so I sat down and looked through the paper. There, in the "Professional" ads was an outfit looking for a patrol pilot to fly a couple of hours a day, three days a week. I called them at 8:00 on a Sunday morning and the ball started rolling. When I talked to my wife later that morning, she thought I was pulling her leg. Today, two weeks since my wife and I watched that patrol plane fly past...

I'm not flying the line past my house, I'm patrolling a large gathering system on one of the large ranches south of me along with lines on the Aransas NWR. The latter are lines that I flew as a young fellow in 1976 through 1978. Not only have I flown it, but I've hunted on those right of ways. There are a lot of memories out that window!
Michael
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Back in the saddle. Back to my roots!

Post by larryw »

Congratulations Michael, for some strange reason I had a feeling you would be poking
holes in the sky again at some point. :D
What are you flying for that job ?
Remember, video, video, video. I think I've about wore out your retirement flight video :D
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Airplane is a Cessna 172. I will need to get a phone mount to video. The Refuge would be best, a lot of twisting and turning with large gators below!
Michael
Et2ss
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by Et2ss »

That's awesome......congrats!
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

I am damn jealous! Two things I have always wanted to do - Learn to fly and learn to weld... So far, neither... I really love flying in the small planes!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thank you, guys! It is funny how excited I am about it! Luckily there are no gun stores with reloading supplies on the way to the airplane!

OTF... I've always wanted to learn to weld too; not daubing, but welding.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Welding is not that hard. Go take a class at the junior college nearby.

Congrats RD, I'm sure it's fulfilling to be in the air again.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:Welding is not that hard. Go take a class at the junior college nearby.
That has always been the problem as I would have to figure out how to cram another three hours into my day, just to get to the class and back. In the city, not so much a problem.
Michael
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

Only 4 years out. I haven't been at the controls of a plane since 1990. I keep saying I am going to get back into it again. All my flying was for travel and pleasure, but I did 4 hours of aerobatic instruction in 89. That was fun. I thought I saw a picture of you with a cub in the background at your ranch some time back.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I for one hope you don't do this. How else will I find ways to spend my retirement dollars?

You flyboys just gotta fly. Once a pilot always a pilot. Me, I just remain a grumpy ornery old ugly handloader.

Enjoy.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.

Return to “Topic Bucket”