Another off topic post.

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Another off topic post.

Post by mikld »

I promise this will be my last "personal" thread, but I have a lot of respect for the fellers here and feel called to share a warning. My wife's grandson died yesterday in a boating accident. Near a small lake east of Mt. Shasta he and a couple friends were working and they brought their families with them as sort of a working vacation. They were all together having a few drinks and someone came up with the idea to go out on the lake in a canoe. Well, boys will be boys, and while nobody knows for sure what happened, the bodies were retrieved yesterday just after sunrise. Three young men, having a good time, somehow drowned during the night. (One of the most common reasons for small boating deaths is standing up to pee and ending up in the water without any life jackets/belts). Perhaps this is what happened and hypothermia hit them and they didn't make it to shore.Clothing often becomes a drag and extra weight when wet, so on a cold evening a jacket becomes a very poor/dangerous swimming outfit...

I've been around the water (Pacific Ocean) most of my life surfing, fishing, boating and sailing and I often think of PPDs as something someone else uses, and I was an excellent swimmer, even though to be legal I kept several on board.

I strongly urge you, whenever on a boat of any kind, even after tossing a few drinks back, to think and use a PPD. Even the best swimmers have been known to drown... :cry: Real men do wear PPDs...
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Another off topic post.

Post by daboone »

MY sincere condolences to your family. This kind of tragedy is made more painful when we learn the lesson in a death of a love one. I pray your hearts be filled with joy of the season by strengthening the bonds within your family and among the friends who also loved him.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

daboone wrote:MY sincere condolences to your family. This kind of tragedy is made more painful when we learn the lesson in a death of a love one. I pray your hearts be filled with joy of the season by strengthening the bonds within your family and among the friends who also loved him.
Please accept my sincerest sympathies for your loss. Having spent 35+ years in the Coast Guard I can sadly relate to your caution. Young men, drink and boating have often been a deadly combination. Sharing, as you have, I know is difficult but it may help prevent another family from experiencing a similar tragedy.
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

I am very sorry this happened and offer my condolences. I have several stories where a life vest saved my life, I will not share them here, now. Needless to say I agree with you 100%. Tragedy strikes when you least expect it. God bless your wife's family and yours.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Sorry to hear, Ill say a prayer for them.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I don't know what to say other than I'm truly sorry for the loss that your family has come up against. I hold your family in prayer.
mikld wrote:I promise this will be my last "personal" thread...
We, including yourself, are a group of individuals that have taken every burden another is carrying with respect and prayer.
Michael
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Old Scribe »

So very sad to hear! I also spent time in the Coast Guard and know that young folks often do foolish things. My thoughts and prayers go out to your family and the family of the other young men.
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Ranch Dog wrote:I don't know what to say other than I'm truly sorry for the loss that your family has come up against. I hold your family in prayer.
mikld wrote:I promise this will be my last "personal" thread...
We, including yourself, are a group of individuals that have taken every burden another is carrying with respect and prayer.
Even when we don't have any words to say in the midst of our own train wreck .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Topic Bucket”