New gun

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

New gun

Post by mikld »

I been itching for a new gun, but the budget is kinda short, and I ran across a post about Hi-Point Carbines (on another forum, forgive me!) . Did a little research and they seem to be fine. Now I'm trying to decide between a 9mm or a 45 ACP. Looked at their website, and it's not the most user friendly (?). Watched a video on youtube , Hickok 45, and the carbine he shot, 9mm, worked well and seemed fairly accurate. I reload for both, have loads of brass, cast a lot of bullets so ammo cost isn't an issue, but there's some info I'd like for a final choice. Wondering if any members have any experience with these carbines? Are the magazines proprietary? Longevity/reliability? I have my "just in case" arsenal covered (5.45x39, 9mm, 45 ACP, 30-06), home and personal security covered, and jes lookin' at a new fun toy that may ride in my pickup, and doing some tin can huntin'. I'm leaning heavily to the 45 ACP (or "45 Auto" :))...
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: New gun

Post by akuser47 »

I've had the 995 carbine since the ban days and its very accurate and durable. Plus you will be hard pressed to find a better company to deal with for any warranty issue you may have. I broke my stock my fault emailed them and they got in contact fast and they got my info and sent me a new stock no cost to me. Mine has been very reliable with factory 10 round magazines. The bad is the single stack magazines limited to 10 rounds. There is a 15 round aftermarket option last I new they had the bugs worked out. For the money hard to beat this gun. They are also easy to strip down and clean though if I had a gun I would called abused this would be it. I will go 3000 rounds or more before I clean it. It is my beater gun though I need a new sight for it I broke the bsa red dot it was wearing. They are kinda ugly to compared to what else is out there. I think 9mm is where its at for this gun cheaper ammo to feed it. Just don't tell them you shoot reloads in it if you have a warranty issue that voids the warranty. This is the case with almost all gun makers though. sorry I am all over the place Hope I helped ask if I didn't address any question you may have. I also shoot anything 9mm in it steel cased whatever I have even my reloads. It feeds and shoots most very well. Except perfecta brass and Winchester steel cased those the accuracy was terrible. They still went bang though.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

The only Hi Point I've had any personal dealings with was a 9mm I bought for a young "person" who lived alone, had no type of personal protection and lived in a questionable area. When I first got it I did a couple things to it I had read about, polished the feed ramp and changed something in the grip area ( don't recall it was a long time ago) so it would fire a round even with the mag out. Don't know if that was a good idea or not, but it seemed like it to me. She came out to the house and she ran 4 boxes of 115gr through it. No ftf, no fte and was very accurate. It's a pretty hefty item so it was easy for her to handle recoil and maintain target control. (She does know how to shoot). I was pretty impressed actually especially considering cost. I would have no qualms using one, fact I've often thought of buying another just because. With that said I've never read anything of substance that was negative about the carbine. Other than most think they're fugly. I don't. They are a bit different though. I wouldn't mind having one of those too. Also never heard ANYTHING bad about the service or warranty of Hi Point. Pretty much all the negative I've read about any Hi Point is generally made by folks I probably wouldn't spend much time with anyway. Same dudes that say if an AR isn't a Colt then it isn't "quality" and wouldn't depend on one for life support. You know em' they're all around us.

I've also read of some company that is making a 20rd mag for the carbine and from the reviews I've seen they work very well.

edit to note: Check for a couple videos on u-tube on some guys trying to destroy a Hi Point. They do some crazy stuff with one, way overloaded, stuck bullets in the bore and fired another one, even drove a bolt into the barrel a shot it again. These guys are nuts and look the part as well........I think they live down round near where Ranch Dog lives..... :lol:
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I used a 945 . It comes with a 9 rd mag it will share with the pistols but the 8 rd pistol mags don't work the other way .
The 14 rd Pro Mags worked fine for me over the course of 3-400 rd .
No other HPs to comment on .

I shot a wide selection of ammo from old GI ball to assorted 200 gr cast up to 250 gr NOE copies of the Lyman 454424 SWC . Basically if it fits in the mag it feeds , fires , and ejects . Typically the groups at 50 yd were the same as what I was shooting at 25 with a 1918 built 1917 S&W , so 3" until the POH was completely gone . I hit a 12×24 plate at an unknown distance past 100 inside 200 ....I think it was 162 yd that yr , 4/10 standing offhand . Oil it shoot it wash the goo out shoot it some more .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Dannymcmullen

Post by Dannymcmullen »

i went to buy a hipoint 45acp rifle and a H&R handi rifle followed me home instead.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An avid reloader is one poor sole
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

Dannymcmullen wrote:i went to buy a hipoint 45acp rifle and a H&R handi rifle followed me home instead.

Love My Handies!

What's It Chambered for?
Dannymcmullen

Post by Dannymcmullen »

orerancher wrote:
Dannymcmullen wrote:i went to buy a hipoint 45acp rifle and a H&R handi rifle followed me home instead.

Love My Handies!

What's It Chambered for?
243 win i also have a 223 rem and 30-06
An avid reloader is one poor sole
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

Nice :t
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Nice rifle +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mikld

Post by mikld »

I'm also a Handi-Rifle fan.I got mine in '90 in .223. I did have a problem though, I didn't know about the difference in .223 vs 5.56 back then and got pierced primers. I thought there was a head space/barrel problem, sent it back to the factory, and they returned it with a new bbl in about 4 weeks. I was able to get several -1" groups and a few 3/4" groups @75 yards (too lazy to walk the extra yardage in the hot sun). I still have it and it will come out of the safe once or twice per year. Also have a factory fitted 30-30 bbl. I can shoot pointy bullets which opens up a whole "new" cartridge...

Return to “Topic Bucket”