K & M Arbor Press

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

K & M Arbor Press

Post by Ranch Dog »

I always seem to get sucked into buying something from MidwayUSA with their annual birthday pricing. This year I filled the occasional itch that I have for an arbor press. I'm a fan of K&M tools and I will see how it works with the Lee Loader tools.

Michael
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: K & M Arbor Press

Post by mikld »

Does it look strong enough to F/L size a 44 Mag case in a Lee Loader? Been thinkin' of a small arbor press for a while (I have a 2 ton press handy but it's heavy and unwieldy)...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yep, specifically made for sizing with the Wilson dies. Found enough forum topics were it was being used with the Lee Loader Kits; all the functions, including primer seating.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm really interested in trying it with the 303 British for neck sizing.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Ranch Dog wrote:I'm really interested in trying it with the 303 British for neck sizing.
With L E Wilson die?
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:I'm really interested in trying it with the 303 British for neck sizing.
With L E Wilson die?
No, will use the Lee Loader die.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Let me plead ignorance once again. What is advantage of your new arbor press over my old ugly HF 1/2 ton arbor press? I've been using it to make gas checks.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'd have to have an adult show me how it works and what it's for to have valid talking points.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:Let me plead ignorance once again. What is advantage of your new arbor press over my old ugly HF 1/2 ton arbor press? I've been using it to make gas checks.
Probably none other than it is pretty ;)

It does have a 7.5" stroke with round stock ram; the stand has height references though I wish they were in tenths vs. 1/4". The ram is also set up for the K&M force dial which I already have. $82 delivered is another reason. The HF offering would be $66 with an hour round trip each way. Bald Eagle, probably the most popular arbor press for reloading, $88 shipped and that press have absolutely no features.

I'm not into the precision shooting stuff, so the video below is not interesting to me, but it shows how the press can be used.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

I'm just curious as to if the Lee Loader die, which is a basic neck sizer, will cure some of the issues I've been having with loading the 303 British. I'm back from my trip to Long Island so that I will shoot the ammo I loaded with the standard Lee Pacesetter die set at the point where it doesn't influence the shoulder to see how that works. If that doesn't, then I will look at the Loader die. On SMLE specific forums, I'm told I need an RCBS or Redding neck die. Depending on the exact type you buy, there are choices within the choices, that can run from $35 to $100 plus the shipping. I'll see how it plays out with the Arbor and the Loader.

Also, I plan on using it with my Loader dies for the slug, buckshot, and BB loads. I have a 3" loader and have purchased a 2 3/4" Loader kit on eBay. This is where I probably will use the force indicator, in seating the star crimp.

My job, every morning, at my daughter's place, was to squeeze enough orange juice for the clan. So every morning I'm using this press. One thing leads to another in my simple mind. I'm actuating this thing, and the squirrel on the wheel in my head is going; 303, slug, 303, slug, 303, slug...

Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

After watching the first video a comparison between the HF 1/2TON and yours would be a jack hammer and find wood chisel. :shock:

Thanks for the education.

Here's my juicer:

Return to “Topic Bucket”