K & M Arbor Press

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: K & M Arbor Press

Post by Macd »

Mike:
You can use self adhesive measuring tape to give you finer divisions.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:Mike:
You can use self adhesive measuring tape to give you finer divisions.
Very true, I wonder if the gearbox traversing the working length of the height adjustment would ruin or peel the tape?
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

I was thinking on the round post with an a small flat indicator glued to the traveler. You could also use a narrow machinists metal ruler for more exact measurements. It might require some fitting to match the radius of the post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I received the press on Saturday but didn't open the packaging until last night. I've been tied up with ranch work, getting my food plots seeded for the winter. I did try sizing a 303 British case with the Lee Loader die. Little effort needed; looked better than using the FL off the shoulder. Of course, need to more checking than one case.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The sorry weather continues so my free time is spent doing small tasks that have been put on hold. Set up the K&M Arbor Press for the Bench Plate. Only thing I've been using it for is the 303 British. So far, it, with the sizing die from the Lee Loader, produces a better MOA that does the Pacesetter (full length) or Collet die.

After all the cases are sized, I run them through the turret; prime with the Safety Prime, Charge with the Auto Disk Drum, bullet seating, and finish with the Factory Crimp Die.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I still have no idea what that is for and its advantage over a regular press. Obviously the results say it's better. RD, I thought you switched over from disk to drum...?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:I still have no idea what that is for and its advantage over a regular press. Obviously the results say it's better. RD, I thought you switched over from disk to drum...?
The press is used instead of a hammer with the Lee Loader dies. The Lee Loader is probably the best neck sizing die available IMHO, especially with the 303 British.

Thanks for the Auto Disk catch... habit.

Getting ready to cut out a wooden bench plate for the Load All II.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

So it's an alternate way to compress the Lee Loader...like making a reloading press out of a Lee Loader...?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:So it's an alternate way to compress the Lee Loader...like making a reloading press out of a Lee Loader...?
It beats all the hammering.

The difference between the Collet and Lee Loader die, as far as they compare as "neck sizers", is that the Collet is simply that. The collet corrects the neck and does nothing for the body of the die as it is just a barrel for actuation of the collet against the shell holder. All that is good with a chamber that is on spec but when you get to something like the SMLE or any other actions and or chambers that are "loose," the body needs a bit of correction as well in the area of the web. Specifically, once shot ammunition will not chamber in my SMLE, it hangs up on the web of the case.

In that the Lee Loader Die was going to be hammered powered, it would have never made it as a full length die, so it only formed the neck. It also had to be useful across a variety of actions so it does some slight correction to SAAMI spec in the area of the web.
Michael

Return to “Topic Bucket”