Banned

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Banned

Post by Fyodor »

Just for your amusement, I wanted to upload the official cartridge list from Europe. Unfortunately the PDF is too large to upload. It has 126 pages, and it's only a list of designations!

I wish we would manage to put down or list on a page or two...
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

JohnnyEnfield wrote:I love this place. You are guys are so great, made my day reading this stuff. Thanks for the pistol cartridge list. I will have to remember to say 'auto' or 'automatic' and not 'ACP'. I love reloading them and shooting them no matter what you call them. I always tell people my .45 is a 1911A1 replica. It is an ATI 1911A1 copy. I never say it is a Colt so this all makes perfect sense to me.
Amen, brother. If you can't laugh at this stuff...

To me, the biggest question is what is up with the firearm manufactures in reference to the ACP/Auto thing, the ammo makers never had an issue with it. This is from an owner's manual for my Taurus TCP; "Use only ammunition of the caliber for which your firearm is chambered. The proper caliber is permanently engraved on your firearm; never attempt to use ammunition of any other caliber."

Okay, the pistol is roll-stamped 380 ACP, so right away there is a mismatch. The legalize goes on to say that if the ammo doesn't match the "permanently engraved", the warranty is void. Of course, I've never shot factory ammo in the pistol, never bought a 380 Auto cartridge in my life, so the handloading has voided the warranty as well, so ACP/Auto is mute when it comes to my warranty. This being a Taurus, you could think that the Brazil connection could explain it, but this pistol is 100% manufactured in the US. It was discontinued at the end of last year and replaced by the Spectrum. That pistol got the stamp half right, it is marked "380".

Of course, I should not have started down this road as another thing that gets me going is the improper use of caliber (above) vs. cartridge(s). I'm sure the 55% of the Owner Manual was written by lawyers and this is perfect proof that just because you are one doesn't mean you are not stupid.

One last statement and I will leave it alone, I love this one; "DANGER: This product is not intended for use by criminals, for use in the commission of crimes or for any other wrongful purpose. Such uses constitute...[voids warranty]."[hr]
Fyodor wrote:Just for your amusement, I wanted to upload the official cartridge list from Europe. Unfortunately, the PDF is too large to upload. It has 126 pages, and it's only a list of designations!

I wish we would manage to put down or list on a page or two...
I have the CIP material but it is a decade old now. You are right about the size, the files for the various rifle cartridges are huge. I just searched and the only pdf I could find was this huge list of cartridges but none where pistol. You can download individual cartridges from this link: http://www.cip-bobp.org/homologation/en ... _type_id=4
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Calibre confusion has been a problem for new shooters for a long time. 44-40, 44 WCF, 44 Winchester or 44 Largo
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

380 ACP , 9×17 , 9mm Kurtz .
9×19 , 9mm , 9mm Luger , 9mm Parabellum
38 super , 38 Super Auto , these 2 may or may not be able to interchange .
38 short , 38 S&W , 38 short Colts ,38/200 , 38 Colts New Police , 380 something .
7×57 , 7mm Mauser , 275 Rigby
8×57 , 8mm Mauser , 7.92 ×57 , 8×57 J , 8×57 JS . The J is found both with .318 dia bullets and down loaded with .323 .
7.62×51 , 7.62 NATO , 308 , 308 Win
7.62×51 R , ( no clue how 307 Win and 30-30 are separated )
7mm Rem Express , 280 Rem ... 7×63 ?

I'm sure I could go on . The above are just examples of stuff I've actually seen on the shelf that was the same cartridge relabled or sold under another name or even had a different name because of a different bullet weight , 38 short etc . Adding metric designations doesn't always help either just look at the Mausers .........or the 6.5s aren't there 3-4 52s that are completely different ?
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Well this old duffer appreciates being properly "re-hinged" and edified by you young whippersnappers. :lol:

Nomenclature and anagrams (OAL, COAL) are very helpful and using them correctly for reloading/handloading is a serious safety concern.

I thank those who are edifying and correcting these important safety concerns for old grumpy farts like me. :t
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
mikld
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

Well, confusing is right! I guess I'll just use the same old terminology I've used all along; just point to a box on the shelf or "gemme sum boolits fer dis ole army reevoler my Pa gimme"... :|
Nomenclature and anagrams (OAL, COAL) are very helpful and using them correctly for reloading/handloading is a serious safety concern.
Yes. Especially when both parties understand the meanings. I've read posts where it looked like anagrams were made up on the spot, at the time of the post... :lol:
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

ICYMI, IMHO, but YMMV it all makes my head hurt.
Bagarocks

Post by Bagarocks »

Whatsa 45 Long Colt??? :-)
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Bagarocks wrote:Whatsa 45 Long Colt??? :-)
I don't know but I'm only 44 and hate that.

I just recycled the circle of insanity. :)
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Bagarocks wrote:Whatsa 45 Long Colt??? :-)
A cheap beer :?:
Michael

Return to “Topic Bucket”