Banned

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
barracudadave67
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Banned

Post by barracudadave67 »

I have mostly Lee reloading stuff also. Theirs nothing wrong with it. Lots of the other brands are just way over priced.
I'll stick with Lee.

barracudadave67
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I too cringe at the mention of Long Colt but I guess I won't die on that mountain.

I bought a Snap-On tool chest ten years ago and paid for it 90 days. I don't regret it. It has Craftsman wrenches in it. How could you break a combo wrench? Each set was probably $60. Each Snap-On set is more like $329. I have Craftsman screwdrivers. They have the same warranty. A set is $40. A set of Snap-On screwdrivers is $279. You're only paying for the convenience of the weekly visit to get things replaced under warranty. I also have a $600 Snap-On torque/angle wrench. It has been worth most of the pennies. It all comes down to getting what works best for you.

Most of my stuff is Lee but they don't make a "real" bullet sizer/luber so I have an RCBS. I hate Lee's scale so I have a Lyman. I have a sweet NOE mold because it was a very generous gift from a reloading friend.....the others I have are Lee. I have a Lee pot because it works. I have many sets of Lee dies that work well. I have just a couple non-Lee dies because they were trades or gifts. I have an RCBS crimp swager because Lee doesn't make one.

No one with a good heart finds pleasure in equipment shaming. I took two 30+ year old very nice original finish bikes that I have over a $Grand$ in total (and they're nice and desireable) to a Dallas show where I was snubbed by some showing $2-4K bikes and lauded by some with neat builds. Guess where the GOOD conversations happened.

This goes to show that semantics and cost of investment wins most contests and starts most fights.

Don't listen to the noise. Do your thing.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

This is the best reference I could find.

http://www.lasc.us/TaylorLongShort45Colt.htm
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I like the Lee Safety Scale but then I grew up using a slide rule. ;) It is more sensitive than my 505 or the Lyman M5 to just one grain of 4895. But to be honest I've grown very fond of the Gen6. also admit I once swore I'd never trust any electronic scale. :P
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

mikld wrote:My discussion on that other forum was partly about the term "Long Colt" and I do understand the history, but my main point was today in the 21st century SAAMI, and 5 of my reloading manuals do not recognize the term/cartridge (I only looked at 5 manuals), all data and info are for 45 Colt, and it seems the only "Long Colt" users are new users and ammo manufacturers...
I hear you. With the cast bullet design work I do, I cringe when I hear a non-SAAMI reference.

a 45 ACP flaring die didn't have enough "flare"...[/quote]
Durn it; there you went an done it. ACP is a brand name and not a cartridge designation. SAAMI does not recognize it nor does CIP. Heck CIP still calls the 25 Auto the 6.35 Browning, 32 Auto the 7.65 Browning, and the 380 Auto the 9mm Browning Court.

I have no problem using Auto vs. ACP because I'm not a Colt fan of any kind. I guess all this will get me banned.
Michael
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

Well, I'll be ____! Yer right, SAAMI lists 45 Automatic, 45 Automatic match, and 45 Colt Automatic +P only. ACP don't show up nowhere! Now I got another topic to get on the old fellers about on the forums dedicated to the 1911... ;)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

mikld wrote:Well, I'll be ____! Yer right, SAAMI lists 45 Automatic, 45 Automatic match, and 45 Colt Automatic +P only. ACP don't show up nowhere! Now I got another topic to get on the old fellers about on the
forums dedicated to the 1911... ;)
Yeah, you can really unhinge a 1911 guy real quick, especially since most of them don't actually shoot a Colt 1911. :o :lol: Don't forget the 25 Auto, 32 Auto, 38 Auto, and 380 Auto! Below is the list of SAAMI cartridges for your range bag, no Long Colt or ACP!
pistol_cartridge_designations.pdf
+corn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

OK so my ACP stuff is now Auto? Dang I'm O L D and now unhinged! :oops:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:OK so my ACP stuff is now Auto? Dang I'm O L D and now unhinged! :oops:
Dude, it has always been that way with SAAMI. Colt loves people saying it.

I've never seen a cartridge headstamped 45 ACP, only Auto and boy have I looked. Roll stamped barrels are common, and I've never understood it especially with all their owner manual legalize about cartridges matching the chamber. I've always wanted to write a manufacturer and have them tell me where I can buy 45 ACP ammunition. You think they would at least mark it according to the standard and not a brand name. I know Peters had a mistake run of 45 Auto Rim cartridges many years ago. The were headstamped 45 AC and should have been 45 AR.

I drove a range instructor crazy with this, but he could not argue it. Every time he said ACP, I belched out or sneezed "Auto." That was a lot of fun!

More fun is having a 45 ACP guy calling a 380 Auto, "Auto." Every time he says "Auto," you say "ACP." If he is going to call a 380 Auto an "Auto," why not the 45? I have a current manufacture 380 Auto roll stamped "380 ACP". Unbelievable to this dude.

I don't care much about this except when I'm corrected for calling it an "Auto," and not an "ACP." With that, I enjoy waging war.
Michael
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

I love this place. You are guys are so great, made my day reading this stuff. Thanks for the pistol cartridge list. I will have to remember to say 'auto' or 'automatic' and not 'ACP'. I love reloading them and shooting them no matter what you call them. I always tell people my .45 is a 1911A1 replica. It is an ATI 1911A1 copy. I never say it is a Colt so this all makes perfect sense to me.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.

Return to “Topic Bucket”