Banned

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Banned

Post by RBHarter »

That 45 Colt Malt licker ........I never did figger out why they licked the malt , isn't a straw easier ?

The thing is that a lot of the new folks to hunting , shooting , and reloading are struggling with the difference between cartridge and caliber . Then the perfectionist gets the guy with the Rem 7mm (never saying whether it is a 7-08 ,7×57,7mm Express ,Mag, Weatherby, or STW) and says you have to use an ogival datum measurement for OAL because a base to point COAL will be different on every bullet , then gives him/her a number . That's all good but I still have books that don't give OAL they give seating depth . Also , and the 7mm was a bad choice , but if you seat to RM length in a 280 Rem aka 7mm express you'll be lucky to keep the bullet in the case . The inverse is of course that the bullet will be in the case . Now that's not a real big deal in the modern long throat rifle or the very used Mauser but it could blow primers pretty easy in a low mileage 8?' M77 .

Most of us old/experienced/information sponge , die hard , just love to shoot , hunt , and read about all of the various misnamed , multi named , so close but different , the Mauser bolt will close on it anyway cartridges , know the difference and understand what was meant even when the wrong terms are used for the described thing .

I have an old 325 Savage with what is obviously a magazine that is factory stamped CLIP . I also often have an overwhelming urge to post a picture of a big bore tall boy pill bottle filled with 5 45 ACP 1917 clips captioned 24 rn 45 ACP clip magazine just to see if I can make someone's head explode just because it's that big of a deal to some of them .

The picture of the Savage removable box mag marked CLIP for 30-30 always ends the clip/mag name discussions .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Getting caught up on nomenclature can be a party pooper for sure. Anyone else do 50 push-ups because they called their rifle a gun? :D Being "correct" matters when being wrong has real consequences. The Internet has no correctness filter. Too many new shooters and those who are venturing into reloading want the quick route to success dare I say expertise. It is a sign of the times. Ever see a post like ; "My uncle gave me gramps rifle and loading tool. It's a 45 caliber. What bullet and powder should I use? I plan on hunting this fall." I am not making this up. A post very much like it was made on a site I belonged to for a couple of years. It illustrates the relative unimportance of people calling a magazine a clip or using OAL as opposed to COAL.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:Getting caught up on nomenclature can be a party pooper for sure. Anyone else do 50 push-ups because they called their rifle a gun?
More PT Drill Sgt, More PT!

You are correct in everything you wrote.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Or an enbloc a magazine or a clip. :(
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I memmer Colt 45 Malt Liquor. Waaaay back, growing up in Compton, I remember Wolf Man Jack advertising "Colt 45 Malt Liquor, baby". Drank a few qts. too, but I'd drink anything back then... :lol:
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I only remember the 45 colt malt liquor commercials. It scared me the damned bull would run through the wall. Born to Southern Baptist parents, beer WAS bad back then. I'm still not a fan of malt liquor. It's a headache waiting to happen. I married a Catholic so...
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

If I put 5 loaded S&W 45 ACP revolver clips in a tall prescription bottle does that make the pill bottle a 30 round clip magazine ?

Then of course there are the older 325/340 Savage box mags that are clearly stamped clip .
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I've owned several handguns chambered in 45 colt. Still have three, all Rugers. So are they 45 colts or are they Rugers chambered in 45 colt? Would the handgun in question have to be a Colt to be called a Colt 45 or is it the caliber and not the brand that makes the difference? Does not matter to me cause' if you say 45 colt I think caliber nothing else. If someone wants to call it 45 long colt or 45LC I just don't care, I know what they're saying. The 7mm thing mentioned before can confuse me if just referred to as a "7mm" because you DON'T know which "calaiber" they may be talking about. That just makes sense. When I first started loading for 9mm (last year) I ran into the same thing. I'm 72 years old and have been reloading for a goodly portion of those years but guess what, I didn't know there were about 4 different 9mm's. I'd just bought a Ruger SR9C and wanted to reload for it so started to look for components (bullets, brass) well what a surprise for me. 9mm Largo, 9x21, 9mm Dillon, 9x18, luger, parabellum, well just which one of these is it....I truly did not know. Yeah I know, read the owners book, exactly what I did.... :lol: Magazine or clip, don't care. Tips, heads, pills, Remmy, Shotty, Remlin, Mossy, well that bugs me. Makes the poster sound like an idiot to me, like calling a cartridge a "bullet". Pretty common to do I know, but a box of bullets to me is, well, a box of bullets with no brass or powder involved. So how far do we carry these things, some could be important and some not so important but as long as we know what is being talked about it is all good. Plus, anyone who would drink Colt 45 Malt Liquor probably loads their pills in 45 long colt brass and shoots them from a 1875 Remmy pistol. +corn
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

The Remlin thing just stuck because we're lazy . Well that and it separated them from the JM Marlins .
I have a friend that loathes the bbl abbreviation for barrel when used for guns , it's ok for oil , but carburetors should be 1,2,4V , not bbl . Whatever I wired several secondaries on 4 bbl carbs back in the day .
Good news 9×19 , Luger , Parabellum and the blank reference of 9mm are the same critter .
Those other things are just work arounds to skirt the laws in Europe . 38 super now there's a bucket of snakes .

Return to “Topic Bucket”