Elect. Scale

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Elect. Scale

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Also keep cell phones and other rf sources away from then.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

I have a couple RCBS units. A Rangemaster 750 and the 1500 Charge Master dispenser. These are the only ones I have any experience with but would recommend either without reservation. I'm not sure how long I've had them but it's been several years for sure. I purchased the 750 first the Chargemaster combo a couple years later. They are not cheap but I've not had any issue or problem with either of them. The auto dispenser one hasn't been used a whole lot as I only use it for my "high power" hunting rifles and I don't load a lot of those over the course of the year. The 750 is my most used scale. I also have three different brand beam scales that I use on occasion for smaller jobs or just as a "check" (but sometimes I just like to use them cause I can :D ). I use check weights for any and all scales before using and will check scales against each other as well.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I like the "check weight" usage myself. Other than the 20 and 30 gram calibration weights that came with the RCBS 750, I don't have a set of commercial check weights. Instead I took some plain old paper clips (bent one end wire up) and weighed them on three different calibrated scales to prove their weight. The weigh 5.8 gr each, so since most of my loading is in the handgun rates, a combination of paper clips in the general range of the desired charge is used about every 20-30 rounds to check the scale. If my load data calls for 9.3 gr of xx powder, I'll drop two of the 5.8 gr paper clips into the scale pan after several loads are weighed and expect to see 11.6 gr - close to be desired target weight. If my load calls for 19 gr of yyy powder, I'll drop 3 paper clips on the pan and expect to see 17.4 gr - close to that desired target weight.

I also had a penny, nickel, dime and quarter "set" that I'd checked weight values on various scales to keep on hand for redneck check weights. They eventually made their way into the loose change bucket and the paper clips that fit closer to my load targets became the mainstay.

It's worked well for me for the last 6-7 years.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.

Return to “Topic Bucket”