M1 Carbine and S&B Primers?

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

M1 Carbine and S&B Primers?

Post by daboone »

Anybody used S&B SR primers for the M1 Carbine?

I do my primer pocket uniforming with Sinclair's primer pocket uniformer. I use this tool on the RCBS case prep center or with a hand drill until this uniformer bottoms out (no more brass shaving are seen). Even on the "treated" cases these S&B SR primer sit slightly proud/flush to the case head. :cry:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: M1 Carbine and S&B Primers?

Post by Ranch Dog »

It seems as though S&B has always done their own thing.
Michael
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

UH-OH. I bought 5,000 of them when they were on sale for $20 a 1,000 about 7 months ago. I have not used any of them yet.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Ranch Dog wrote:It seems as though S&B has always done their own thing.
Agree 100%
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Is your Sinclair tool adjustable? If not, I have a K&M that is, it must be chucked in a drill. I would be happy to send it to you.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

I just wack a moled them, then deprimed. Then picked up some CCI SR and started over.

Thanks for the offer but I might really liking your tool and "forget" to return it. ;)

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I bought a whole bunch of them for $20/1000. I just started using them. No issues other than one I would rather not mention specifically. I figured the high primers I had were my error as they were loaded on the progressive in a large run and I likely just did not push them in all the way.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

daboone wrote:Thanks for the offer but I might really liking your tool and "forget" to return it. ;)
That's not a real problem, you could pass it on to farmerjim when finished and it would eventually work its way back.

I actually feel that S&B pockets have a slight taper which leads to the high primer and I wonder about the recipe for their brass. It seem hard. My experience was that to get a uniform pocket, I really had to put a lot of effort into it and it took a lot of cutting at the end. I had to keep pulling the tool out and reapplying it. The tough work was hard on my hands and the cases slipped a lot on the Lee shell holders.

I've never bought the S&B brass or primers, but at one point I was buying different styles of range brass. I had a lot of 32 Auto, 380 Auto, and 9mm Luger brass. Just the fact that it was short, made the uniforming tough so I ended up tossing it all because this was heading to the Load-Masters and I just had too much of a problem with it stopping the flow when they came around to be ejected from the shellholder.

I also ended up with a bunch of 7.62x39 brass, damned if it didn't have small primer pockets. Remington does too and I tossed it all.

I sure would do something about a raised primer fit. Please look at the note on the bottom of the SAAMI spec.

If either of you needs the tools, large pistol or rifle or small, I will send them to you. You would have them in two days.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

To be clear I haven't had issues with their brass like others have (and like I get with privi brass) just some high primers on uncrimped once fired .223 I loaded for a friend. I thought the few high ones were my fault....and still do.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

SAAMI specs below case head are what I've followed. I've shied away from flush because of my obsession with milsurps and free floating firing pins. These S&B primers were mostly flush so according to SAAMI maybe I'm just overly cautious?

Return to “Topic Bucket”