Shipping Powders and Primers -- tips?

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
GRV01
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Shipping Powders and Primers -- tips?

Post by GRV01 »

So Im going to be making a trip soon to Tucson to pickup some stuff i have there from an aborted move. Ill be shipping it commercially but i have a problem. Among my stuff is 3, 1lb jars of powder (HP38, HS6, and IMR 4227 incase youre curious) and a brick of 1000 primers that I rrally want to get back to Florida.

Driving is out of the question as meals and lodging and a rental for 3 days would be expensive -- 6 days if i drive out there and back. Im thinking of flying roundtrip and shipping everything back (still have to crunch the numbers) but the bivgest priblem is the HAZMAT

Has anyone here shipped powders and primers before through a third party HAZMAT certified shipper? It looks ill have to find my own to do it since i cant ship it myself because i dont have the certs. Any ideas?
No thin chicks
Currently reloading .357 Magnum and .38 Special
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Shipping Powders and Primers -- tips?

Post by Ranch Dog »

My guess is that it won't be worth the cost for three pounds of powder and a brick. I suspect with HAZMAT, shipping, and handler you will be near what it cost you.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Damn I miss the good old days. I could order primers and powder from Sears, Montgomery Ward via regular mail delivered to my PO box. There was no mail delivery to rural homes back then either. After my dad died I loaded up his reloading shop gear including smokeless and black powders into 2 trunks and flew back home with it, no questions asked.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I can feel your pain. Just went through that with Ranch Dog, he had several "cans" of Trail Boss powder for a very good price but after he found out what the shipping to me was it became more (a bunch) than what I can buy it for semi locally. Bummer. By the way I think Haz Mat is a scam.

"The good old days"? Just how old are you Dan (actually I know the answer, they had just started those "new fangled horse less carriages" :lol: ). When I was a young boy we had RFD mail delivery and lived a couple miles outside of a town in Oregon of about 200 population. Even had newspaper delivery, I know, I delivered them... no not by mule, bicycle, 3sp English Racer, remember those, the skinny azz tires were not meant for gavel roads, still have the rash....:D and I still think Haz Mat is a money scam... :evil:
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I too think hazmat is a scam, and the only handling difference is labeling and the driver/handler/shipper must be "trained" BTDT. I might just feign ignorance and tightly pack the items and ship "normal" freight...
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

mikld wrote:I too think hazmat is a scam, and the only handling difference is labeling and the driver/handler/shipper must be "trained" BTDT. I might just feign ignorance and tightly pack the items and ship "normal" freight...

I won't say anything.............. 8-)

Return to “Topic Bucket”