Jes askin'

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Jes askin'

Post by mikld »

For some reason I have never considered jacketed bullets for my 45 SA. I got brass that screams "Lead, Lead, Lead", so I stuff them with my cast bullets... :lol:
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by orerancher »

mikld wrote:For some reason I have never considered jacketed bullets for my 45 SA. I got brass that screams "Lead, Lead, Lead", so I stuff them with my cast bullets... :lol:

+1
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I guess I'm not sure what you're asking about/for? Like some others I've not loaded anything in a 45 colt that wasn't a cast bullet. 230gr. is the lightest bullet I've shot through any of mine and that was when I first started with the 45 colt in the early 90's. I probably went through a couple thousand Lazer Cast 230 grainers when they were 30 bucks for 500. They shot fine for me using a 6ish gr. load of Bullseye powder. I have since moved on to "other" bullets and powder as my "knowledge" increased about all things regarding cast bullets and reloading in general. The Lee 250gr. RNFP (about 260 sized and lubed with my moulds) is a very good bullet and a favorite of many shooting the Colt and gets good reviews in the carbines as well. As far as crimp goes obviously my use of cast bullets always allows for a crimp groove but even then I've had bullets "jump crimp" on some HEAVY Ruger loads a few times because I didn't crimp enough. Those loads take a very strong roll crimp. I'm sure you're aware of the difference in loading the 45 acp and 9mm vs the 45 colt revolver rounds as the 45acp and 9mm do not need a crimp as they don't chamber off the case rim. I've read of several folks using a taper crimp die with revolver rounds but it's not something I've done or would do. No need as my dies for those calibers come with a roll crimp. I also wouldn't use a bullet in the 45 colt that didn't have a crimp groove but that's just me. Perhaps using a lighter load as in the TB loads ( I like TB for fun shooting) you may not have any problem but after tying up your cylinder a couple times you'll probably not use those bullets anymore. We all have "methods to our madness" and that is just a couple of mine.
mikld

Post by mikld »

Basically I'm just sharing my experiences with a new to me cartridge. I have 5 or 6 44 caliber molds but just 3 molds for 45 and just one for 45 Colt. So being the inquisitive kinda guy I am, I'm trying some bullet normally used in the ACP in my Colt. The 225 gr RN (231 gr actual weight) is loaded with starting loads of W231 for a 230 gr LRN. The 200 SWC gr will be loaded with starting loads of Trail Boss for a Lyman 200 gr LSWC designed for a revolver. I will be taper or collet crimping these bullets as they have no crimp groves.

I cast my own bullets but have purchased a few Lyman 255 gr LSWC from Acme and will load them for trial purposes. I have been shooting my cast bullets in my 44 Magnums (5) since '88 and don't think 45 Colt bullets will pose any problems for me.

Just sharing. It was a bit quiet around here so I spoke up...
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have some 200 and 225 grain ACP cast bullets Okie44 gave me when I got my 1911. They have no groove and I loaded 12 of the 225s in Colt brass before I bought the 255 (261) grain Colt mold. I haven't shot many if any (I can't remember but I bet it's posted here). I have loaded some plated no-cannalure bullets for ACP but not for Colt (as stated).

The 225s just look weird in Colt brass due to the round nose but I bet they work good enough.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Lots of cast choices . I don't remember what all these are but I have them from 195-350 , 145 if you count the RB .
IMG_20170129_113929630.jpg
It is fun to step outside of the normal cartridge window sometimes just to see what can be done . The 350 was for a carbine with the hopes of holding to about 1050 MV turns out the powder change put a start load at 1240 ........ 45 Colts carbine tip toeing into 45-70 turf ......

At the other end more conservatively are 1500 fps SWC , that will go supersonic in 7.5" revolver . I have an 8 cavity H&G #130 now so I see a lot more 195 SWC in all of the 45s for me . +guns
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Topic Bucket”