Jes askin'

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Jes askin'

Post by mikld »

I recently acquired a SA in 45 Colt and a Lee mold for a 255 RNFP bullet. I've only fired a few reloads (255 RNFP over a starting load of Trail Boss). So far it's fun but I'm not sure of the bullet yet (very small lube grooves). I also have two 45 ACPs so I have a few different molds and am going to try some 200 SWC and some 225 RN bullets in my 45 Colt. I'm aware of the lack of crimp grooves on these bullets but I'm using a collet crimp and the bullets are tight in the cases. I've figgered out a couple light, starting loads (Trail Boss loads for 230 gr FP, and for a 200 gr. SWC with W231). I'm aware of possible bullet "creep" and will be checking closely. So, anybody tried this?... ;)
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Re: Jes askin'

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have the same stuff minus TrialBoss. Waiting for replies.

I did do a simliar experiment with 9mm that went way south because of Unique and my fears.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Just pondering the situation, I'll throw my 2¢ worth in ....

As for the lack of "proper" crimp groove, consider that there a whole lot of revolver bullets on the market from the "plated bullet" suppliers that have little/no crimp grooves. They must sell them, otherwise they wouldn't be marketed.

Considering the small lube grooves .... I wouldn't even worry about it. I tumble lube every cast bullet whether home cast by one of my buddies or pre-lubed commercial cast. Never had an issue up to 1700fps in the calibers I load for.

At the pressures from "mild loads" in the .45 colt cartridges (I don't own or reload for - yet) I don't think I'd worry about bullet jump from a cartridge that's been closed with a collet style crimp die.

just my rambling

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
mikld

Post by mikld »

Thanks. I'm not really concerned about the lack of a crimp groove as I've reloaded thousands of 45 ACP and 9mm rounds with just a taper crimp. I also used a taper crimp on some 38 Specials and experimented with cast 9mm bullets, w/o a crimp groove, in a 357 Magnum and taper crimped them. (I can't remember where I got the TC die, who made it, or if I even still have it. Dang! Getting old sucks. :oops: ). I was able to roll/crimp a bit of the mouth of the case around the ogive of the round nose so I'm sure it'll hold.

I lubed the RNFPs with C-Red but I have some 45-45-10 from White Label Lubes I'll try. Thanks...
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by mr surveyor »

It may not be the best, but I'm still getting satisfactory results with plain old LLA that's been cut with mineral spirits

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I replied to your PM but my advice is don't slow them down too much and lack of crimp groove doesn't scare ME.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Until recently I was able to get a 200 gr RNFP from a local caster. With a middle of the road load of either Trail Boss or Blackhorn 209 it was a fun just plinking type load in both the Black Hawk and the Rossi. Taper crimped and no problems in either gun.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

I have used 230 grain jacketed and cast bullets in my 1875 Remingtopn 45 Colt SA. Having had a cylinder jam caused by bullet creep I stopped using the jacketed bullets as they do not have a crimp groove and my crimp die applies a role crimp. Cast, (TL452-230 2R), I use LLA and apply a medium crimp in the top groove. I use W231, VV N340, Clays and Trail Boss. Loads are all within published limits. FPS ranges from 700 to 850. I have sent a lot of soda cans to Boot Hill with this revolver. :D
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I wouldn't think of loading jacketed bullets for my firing pin on hammer single action Colt 45 (clone).
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I don't think I've fired a jacketed bullet in my 45 Colts either . In the Ruger I've run 1200 fps , way past fun to shoot , with the 452-255 RNFP Lee with no pull issues . I've loaded 350s to 1250 in a Carbine with no groove and no problems , it was a pretty short test as I didn't want to go anywhere near that fast .

I don't think you will really see the pull issues until you get into the Ruger fringe loads whether your loading SWC intended for ACP or a 200 gr cowboy bullet . The original was a 255 HB 1-40 tin lead over 32-35 gr of FFFg sometimes reported at 950 fps but generally 825-900fps from 4.5" revolvers .
Crimp over the shoulder or if length allows in a top lube groove if you feel that it's really needed .

A while back I aquired some CBC brass that had a heavy cannalure like the old 38 Special WC brass . That might be an option also for preventing setback and combined with an over the shoulder crimp no movement at all .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Topic Bucket”