Woo-Hoo!

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Woo-Hoo!

Post by mikld »

Shot my new toy yesterday. One box of Magtech 250 RNFP bullet "Cowboy" ammo (I many times start a new gun with factory ammo). I got a bit of leading from the lead bullets and a lot of "flash" on the cylinder face. I took a chunk out of my off hand thumbnail from my grip position. Seems the way I wrapped my off hand around my shooting hand placed my thumb right behind the squared top ridge of the grip frame and recoil drove it back into my thumb (ouch!). It took a few drops of blood for me to notice sumpin' wrong as I was having a very good time! And yep, the gun does shoot low, about 4" low at 25 yds. but the windage is pretty close. Now to reload those empties with my new RCBS Cowboy dies (nice dies, brass lock rings and dark brown die bodies with blued stems. RCBS also supplied an extra expanding plug for larger cast bullets, .452" plug).

Off to my shop to process some reloads. Let's see, Trail Boss, W231, or Unique?... :lol:
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

No, yes, maybe. +corn

A2400 and IMR4227 as well.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

GasGuzzler wrote:No, yes, maybe. +corn

A2400 and IMR4227 as well.

If you really enjoyed shooting those "cowboy" loads then try the Trail Boss. 5.8 gr shows as a max load but 6gr will work as well and isn't really "over" according to the load instructions on how to load TB. 4227 will sometimes bring a gun that shoots low into POA. Don't know why that is but it does seem to work. It's also difficult to find anything better than an 8 or 8 1/2gr Unique load. Glad you enjoy that 45 colt, they are a lot of fun and there's just something about carrying one that other calibers can't match. Must be that "cowboy" thing.... +guns

Keep us posted on what you load and how you like it...
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

To be more specific I don't have any use for TrailBoss, I like W231, and I'm trying to like Unique.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Topic Bucket”