Woo-Hoo!

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Woo-Hoo!

Post by mikld »

Got a new gun; a Cimorron Pistoleo in 45 Colt w/4 5/8" barrel (Pietta 1873 clone). Just slugged the barrel and cylinder throats; bbl groove dia. around .451" and throats a consistent .454". I have a mold on order for a 255 gr RNFP and am gonna look to Lee for a ,454" (or so) sizing die. My new quest starts! The 45 Colt is new to me and if my usual modus operandi shows up I'll be looking for a bunch of "necessities" to go along with it (Duke holster/belt, molds, dies fancy grips, and perhaps a 45 Colt lever gun) :lol:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Woo-Hoo!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yep, the prereferrals tend to be proportional to the cost of the firearm!
Michael
mikld

Post by mikld »

Well, it's started. I just ordered a Lee 454" sizing kit and a set of RCBS Cowboy dies (Cowboy dies because I'm reloading .454" bullets). I'm goin' to Church tomorrow and mebbe ask for patience and prudence... :lol: :lol:
Last edited by mikld on 28 Jul 2018 17:56, edited 1 time in total.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Those are sexy pistols. We need pictures and keep the thread updated on what you buy and why and how it works for you. We love happy stories like this +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Oh dear. I recently bought a Uberti Cimmaron Evil Roy and a couple molds. Even though it came with hand checkered walnut grips I did look at grips. Haven't found a belt and holster (I don't need) for it yet but I have sets for all my other wheel guns so....

And yes, I'm sort of looking for a Rossi 92 in .45 or .454 as well but I might have to sell some black stuff.

I'm new to .45C too but I already had dies and a little brass because the itch was there it just takes a while for me because I only buy private sale FTF.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

For Colts at Colts levels......... I like the 452-255 and for poppers the 452-200 RNFPs with 8.0 Unique . This works well in the M92' also as it keeps them subsonic .

I have 2 92's and neither will feed any Remington brass . Both have very , very generous chambers so consider buying a well used rifle and having it rebarreled , wear parts replaced and reamed to match your pistol chamber or keep the rifle and pistol brass separate and neck size the rifle brass after using the 303 Britt "0" ring or tape lap tricks to fire form the brass round and square .

Measure the throats . No sense sizing bullets that don't need it or using them in the throats and fighting OALs . The Cimmeron guns and Uberti ER guns should be pretty uniform in the throats but check all 6 . My Ruger was .........ummm ...... inconsistent . It had a .4515 and a .4545 and with pairs in between . It's much better now matched up with just one a little big and 5 at .454 for the .452 barrel .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Back in the mid 90's when Pietta (FI Piettta or something like that at the time) when they (Pietta) first started making the model 1873 clones, and they made their own, not from Uberti or other makers, I bought two with consecutive serial numbers to go with a Rossi 45 colt 20" rifle. I had two of the original size Ruger Vaqueros at that time also. I remember taking the grips and sanding them clean then "beating" them up a bit then using a black sharpie to kinda highlight the "dents and bruises" then spent a week hand rubbing them with tung oil to a very nice finish. Looked very cool, at least to me. Gave them a "old time, used look except for the very nice high gloss bluing the guns had :lol: . The cylinders on mine were a bit lighter color bluing but looked nice. I never slugged the bore or checked the cylinders because I didn't know of such things then but they shot well enough for me, so....at that time I mostly used Lazer Cast 230 gr. bullets with IIRC 6.5gr bullseye. Was a pretty accurate "target" load. Sometime a bit later I started reading about the "Ruger only loads" and being as I had two of those AND the Rossi that would handle the same I proceeded to convince myself that those were THE loads to load and shoot (idiot) so I sold the two Piettas because I didn't want to chance loading the wrong loads in them. Big mistake, I wish I had them back as it didn't take TO long (oh, it was a few years alright) to figure out those "hand slammers" weren't near as much fun to shoot. No one else that I shot with liked them either :shock: .....fact I still have a box of 50 I loaded close to 20 years ago, there might be a few gone from it as I seem to remember trying some in my "new to me then" 4" Redhawk. They were just as "bad" as I remembered, left a mark in the web of my hand after 6. That was enough of that....my favorite shooting load now is 6gr of Trail Boss under a 260gr RNFP right at 800fps. You can shoot them one handed, very pleasant to shoot, accurate and about as much fun as a guy can have with his clothes on. That load would have been perfect for my Piettas. Congratulations on a fine gun, hope you enjoy the heck out of it..... +guns
mikld

Post by mikld »

I gave my new mold a try yesterday. Cleaned, lubed, heated and cooled twice. I started getting good bullets after about 10-15 pours, which is acceptable for a new mold, and all bullets were round, but .453". I will keep some of the .453" bullets to see how they perform with .454" cylinder throats (any leading), but will prolly open up the mold a least another .001".

I ain't had this much fun since I got my Garand... +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I'd bet hard money those .453 bullets will shoot just fine in that pistola. If everything is in time they should work about as good as it gets, they are over bore size and as long as they don't just "drop" out of the cyl when you insert one there should be no problem...probably shoot fine even if they did.
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

Shot both the Uberti/Taylor SAA's today. 44-40 and the 45 Colt is the Taylor. In addition to 8.0 Unique, lookat 7.1-7.3 grns HP38. Mine likes 7.1 (all for 255 grn bullets).

Return to “Topic Bucket”