Loadmaster press numbers

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Loadmaster press numbers

Post by horseman »

I wanted to clarify a statement I made the other day in a post about Lee LM's and the number sold. I stated that last year Lee had sold over 1800 presses. I was mistaken. (I know hard to believe :D ) The number Lee mentioned was over 1800 presses configured in 9mm alone. That's probably the most popular round for reloading now a days but I'll bet 45acp, 40S&W, and 223 aren't far behind. With those kind of numbers and all the hand-wringing going on about how "questionable" the LM is a fella would think there would be a bunch of them out there for sale used. But noooo, you won't find many. I also take umbrage with all the talk about "tinkering" with them. I don't "tinker" with mine at all. I adjust them correctly them reload with them. The only "tinkering" I have to do is if I change primer size and or a shell plate, maybe. I did not intend to get off the subject (but I did) as this was about the number sold. Interesting I thought.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Loadmaster press numbers

Post by Ranch Dog »

Interesting numbers. Yes, I'm always surprised that you don't see more used presses on listings like eBay. When you do, they are not a bargain! I've even PM guys on other forums that are complaining about them and ask what they want for theirs. Their reply always has been what they paid for it. I simply respond that I will buy a new one because you haven't goofed it up! I've gone to help a few guys set up their Load-Masters, and it is always something they have adjusted outside the setup instructions causing the issue.

I've always been amazed how many guys like me I run into out here that are reloaders and have either a Load-Master or Pro 1000. I've never run into a Hornady or Lyman press owner and only a couple of RCBS guys. No oddball older presses either. You would think that there would be some estate sales in my area with Lee stuff and maybe I should start going to them, but I think I have enough now.

If I had to move someplace with only room for one press, I would take a Load-Master. Once you start using it fully, the utility of the thing is crazy. Take my rifle cartridges for instance. I size the cases before case prep but I do the sizing on the LM because of the case feeder. I have a "loose" turret that I put the sizing die on, fill the tubes with lubed cases and cycle them all through. The press can make you a bit lazy especially when you fully understand what it will do!
horseman wrote: I also take umbrage with all the talk about "tinkering" with them. I don't "tinker" with mine at all. I adjust them correctly them reload with them. The only "tinkering" I have to do is if I change primer size and or a shell plate, maybe. I did not intend to get off the subject (but I did) as this was about the number sold. Interesting I thought.
I'm so not the tinkerer that all my cartridges have dedicated bullet & case feeders and an Auto Drum drum. If it uses a bullet feeder, it is already on the turret, the case feeder mounts with a single nut (see my post about the stop nut), and the drum only need to be tightened down. No tinkering.

As of late, my Classic Turret is wondering what the hell happened! It will soon get some business as I prep some leverguns for hunting season.
Michael

Return to “Topic Bucket”