Case holder ? 3D printed?

Hand decappers, chamfer/deburr tool, primer pocket tool.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Case holder ? 3D printed?

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I've used a tap holder on occasion when I needed a good grip on a case for some reason or the other, might be kind of slow for a lot of cases.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:It is the Neck Turning Universal Handle offered by 21st Century Shooting/Reloading; I bought one to give it a try ($25 shipped). The site indicates it is good for the 17 Fireball which has a web diameter of .377". The Fireball has a base to shoulder length of 1.065", and from the image on the website of the Fireball (not the image above), there is a lot of cartridge sticking out of the tool. I would speculate that the diameter of the tool body is about .4". I'm going to bet, with cartridge drawings compared, it will fill our needs for a case like 9mm Luger. If it doesn't, I still hold a lot of rifle cases each year.
I did receive the 21st Century Neck Turning Handle on Monday and it will hold a 9mm Luger case.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure the T-handle design will suit my purpose of working with cases on the prep center. The 9mm case is at the lower limit of the tool so each allen screw needs about a quarter to half turn to release it. I probably will end up writing the fellow, telling him what I'm using it for, and asking if he would consider offering a "nutcracker" design for my (our) specific purpose. Having the handles on both sides of the tool would allow you to hold the case against the spring while you worked on the case. There is no way to turn one handle around on the existing tool. After see the design of the tool, a dedicated "pistol" tool, 25 Auto through 45 Auto, should be easy.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Thank you RD!

I'm now going to stop by Walmart and buy am old fashion nut cracker. I'll glue some rubber mat to the cracker parts and maybe even epoxy a spring for ease of case insertion.

I knew you guys would crack this "nut" case tool wide open! +guns
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've already eyeballed the one here at the house. Seems a bit big but it might be overcome.
Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

extra shims
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Just ordered these today. I will review them in a couple of weeks as I'm back in Kealakekua to do some maintenance on my place.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Where dr. I'd you get them? Got a link.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Got them on Amazon. Searched soft has pliers. I also checked HF but they don't carry them. I also looked for spring loaded soft jawed pliers but no luck. I didn't spend that much time looking after you made the suggestion to 21st Century. I don't think it would be difficult to epoxy a spring on a handle. Anyway I hope it works, so do my fingers.

Thanks again everyone for your ideas and suggestions.

Jeff H
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Jeff H »

Not sure who all here uses a L. E. Wilson case trimmer, but those case holders hang onto a case well enough that it won't spin when trimming the mouth. Most of the case holders leave both ends of the case sticking out enough for for inspection or work. I've got a lead ingot from a round lead pot that's about 2 1/2" in diameter and 1 1/4" thick that is a mandatory accessory to the Wilson case trimmer - drop a case into the case holder, tap the base of the case on the ingot (just let the weight of the case/holder drop about 3/4" the ingot) to seat the case and then do you trimming - or primer pocket cleaning, uniforming, de-crimping..... To get the case back out, drop the case/holder against the ingot case-mouth first and the case pops loose. The case holder is big enough that your fingers won't get cramped trying to grip the small diameter case. I've never bent even the thinnest brass doing this and it eliminates a lot of fatigue.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I like the idea of the Wilson holders but they don't have several that I need. All are small pistol, and their instructions say the case must be driven out with an arbor press or punch.

I have the 30 Carbine, 32 Auto, 9mm Luger, & 45 Auto in my MidwayUSA shopping cart. 25 Auto, 380 Auto, & 9mm Makarov are not available. Those three are really needed.
Michael

Return to “All Other Tools”