Gun cleaning

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Gun cleaning

Post by orerancher »

What Bore Solvent do You use?

Have always used good old Hoppe's #9.... Is there sumthin better?

Tried some Butch's Bore Shine not long ago, Don't think It works as well as #9
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Gun cleaning

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

#9 on most of the smokeless guns and Ballistol on the black powder guns and after shooting mil-surplus with corrosive primers.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Butch's and #9. I found Hoppe's Elite a good product. It comes out as a foam and is great for soaking a neglected barrel.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I make my own. Mineral spirits, Kroil, ATF or Marvel's Mystery Oil, and ammonia. I started with Ed's Red solvent and adapted it to my needs...
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

ED Red and sometimes Eliminator if required

Ballistol and it's mixtures (moose milk) for BP
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

From 1963, when I got my first "real" gun, until 1973 my gun(s) got cleaned at least monthly (whether used or not) with the "poor boy" stuff. WD40 for the solvent, a small piece of rag on a string pulled through the barrel, and 3-In-One sewing machine oil use to finish the bore, moving parts and the blued finish. Vaseline (oh, no) was used in the place of grease, or sometimes axle grease, but was always removed (with WD40) and replaced at least monthly. Good old Hoppe's #9 came into the picture here in 1973 and is still the preferred solvent. For what it's worth, I still have that first "real gun" - a 1950's era J.C. Higgins break action .410 shotgun, given to me by one of my grandfathers a couple of years before he died.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I have used all sorts of stuff . Hoppes is the go to mostly , I used the Barnes solvent a few times , Rem 10x , Birchwood Casey's , and Kroil .

1 important thing of note is to occasionally change solvents even if it's just for one single wet , soak , brush , wet mop and patch dry . The change of solvent breaks up the carbon fouling and you'll be shocked by how much crud comes out of a clean patch barrel .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

mr surveyor wrote:From 1963, when I got my first "real" gun, until 1973 my gun(s) got cleaned at least monthly (whether used or not) with the "poor boy" stuff. WD40 for the solvent, a small piece of rag on a string pulled through the barrel, and 3-In-One sewing machine oil use to finish the bore, moving parts and the blued finish. Vaseline (oh, no) was used in the place of grease, or sometimes axle grease, but was always removed (with WD40) and replaced at least monthly. Good old Hoppe's #9 came into the picture here in 1973 and is still the preferred solvent. For what it's worth, I still have that first "real gun" - a 1950's era J.C. Higgins break action .410 shotgun, given to me by one of my grandfathers a couple of years before he died.

jd
Got My first Real gun for Christmas 1967 Ithaca mod. 49 single shot .22 Still have It....Always been cleaned with #9
Old Scribe
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Old Scribe »

I started cleaning back in 1968 after I was discharged from the military. I remember cleaning M16's and 50 calibers aboard ship with some military solvent that smelled awful but cleaned well, but couldn't find it after I got home.
Hoppe's #9 has worked since then. Now I use Shooter's Choice Lead Remover when I've been shooting cast and Outer's Foaming Bore Cleaner for jacketed bullets.
Patch lube for my muzzleloaders is Ballistol and water in a 1to 6 ratio. Cleaning black powder residue is much easier and efficient with Simple Green. Everything gets a wipe down/swabbing after cleaning with Barricade.
Everything mentioned so far is good. The only real difference is what ever works for the individual.

Steve
"Well here's another nice mess you've gotten me into." Oliver Hardy
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I've used a lot of Hoppes over the years, still have some in fact, but there are things on the market now that are just a better product. I've been using KG products for the last few years and it is good stuff and I think does a much better job than Hoppes. A bit more work maybe, there are three items to use, a cleaner degreaser, carbon remover and a copper solvent. I've been reading about another product, Sharpshooter brushless foam bore cleaner, the reviews on it are outstanding but I haven't bought or used any as I haven't needed that depth of rifle cleaning in some time as I haven't been shooting them so no copper "buildup", but I plan on doing both. Hoppes #9 does smell better though.....for removing leading I just take a worn barrel brush, wrap some copper chore boy around it and with a bit of oil scrub the bore. Works good.

Return to “Topic Bucket”