Difference between colors

All black, red, and yellow Powder Measure Kits.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Difference between colors

Post by mikld »

This "discussion" is at least 30 years too late (is that a metric or Imperial measurement of time?). If you can count to ten on yer fingers; use metric. If you can think, use S.A.E....
Fyodor
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

If you can count to 1000 on your fingers, use binary ;-)
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

1.36 x5280= X
Xx12= Y.

1.86 liter per 1/2 US gallon not to be confused w an Imperial gallon that is 5 qt unless your ordering aile in which case you get 1/8 of 5 qt in your pint and 1/4 of 5 qt in your qt . 16.8 Oz in a .5 liter. 2.2 lb to the kilo . A metric ton is 1 I stumble on . A standard ton is 2000 lbs while long or Impirial ton is 2200.
Special thanks to James Earl Carter,6th grade science classes and my Dad's trade in plumbing and pipe fitting w/a fondness for Australia also a youthful passion for reading 1984 was a biggie here.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Honestly, I would really dislike everything being the same... the "one world" concept. It would cause me not to want to go anywhere. It is bad enough that you can get a McDonalds grease burger just about anywhere in the world now. I mean, I really hate traveling 15,000 miles (nautical or statute) and the first thing I see is the "Golden Arch". That makes me want to say "FI" and go home. The way I see it, all these things that make up the differences makes each place unique and worth visiting. If I already have a grip on the currency and all rates of calculation, I can't ask the cute young lady in the halter top with the tattoos in the right places to help me figure it out without appearing to be the pervert I am. :P
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

The best trip ever was to Calgary. We stopped in a little doughnut shop for breakfast. That poor girl behind the counter was so flustered . The rate I think was about .85 to $1 in our favor the bill was like 4.35 C so a 5 covered it either way . The rather matrinely owner lady stopped her while she was struggling with the change and exchange saying "no no dearie , theirs is worth more than ours". Being from an area where in the service industry tips make up half of 1s in come it was natural to spend the round up . The poor girl was so embarrassed she wouldn't take take the 65 cents let alone the dollar and a quarter.

I have trouble with the deca, deci part of metrics and dry measures.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

RBHarter wrote:I have trouble with the deca, deci part of metrics and dry measures.
@ Tip story:
Yeah, that always creates confusion... I've accidently over-tipped some years ago, before we had the EURO. Some friends and I have been to Prague, only a few years after the iron curtain fell. In a Chinese restaurant we made an error with exchange rates too, and gave about 80% tip. We didn't realize at first, because to our standard that still was cheap. But the girl totally freaked out, and we didn't have to pay for dessert and our Baijiu, but we first realized what happened when we checked the bill in the hotel.

We don't use deca and deci a lot, most common are the thousand-fold prefixes. Only exception is the Centimeter. But the system itself is very logical, and you only need to know a basic unit and the prefixes, and can make up any new unit size you need. Milliseconds, Kilometers and Hectoliters are very common, but everybody would know what a Gigasecond is, or a Picoliter, or a Nanogramm. The big advantage of the metric system ist that it's very easy to change order of magnitudes, and still have small numbers. In everyday life it doesn't make that much of a difference if you use cm or inch, liter or gallon.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Personally, I've gotten where I tend to measure most stuff in "dog". That way if I've eaten seven biscuits it is really only one!
Michael
dromia
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by dromia »

Ranch Dog wrote:Honestly, I would really dislike everything being the same... the "one world" concept. It would cause me not to want to go anywhere. It is bad enough that you can get a McDonalds grease burger just about anywhere in the world now. I mean, I really hate traveling 15,000 miles (nautical or statute) and the first thing I see is the "Golden Arch". That makes me want to say "FI" and go home. The way I see it, all these things that make up the differences makes each place unique and worth visiting. If I already have a grip on the currency and all rates of calculation, I can't ask the cute young lady in the halter top with the tattoos in the right places to help me figure it out without appearing to be the pervert I am. :P
Absolutely, unfortunately in europe we have this unelected bureaucracy called the EU trying to make us all the same and slavish to a nanny state.

In the 70s I voted for the UK joining a common market but now I find we are in an organisation that wants closer political and fiscal union whilst at the same time wants bamstick countries like Turkey and Ukraine to join the happy band of vested interest.

Apologies if this is too far off topic and political so feel free to remove Michael but I do think differences and maintaining cultural differences are so important.
Sans Peur
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

You're totally right.

Return to “"Dippers"”