Two powder questions

All black, red, and yellow Powder Measure Kits.
rog54
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Two powder questions

Post by rog54 »

I have been using HP38 for my 9mm and 45acp loads. Is HP38 known as a "dirty" powder? Seems my guns have a good bit more mess. I have not had opportunity to compare to new ammo. Started using it because it was recommended by a local shop/reloader.

Secondly, Any of you loaded 357sig ? any recommendations on powder for that load?
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Two powder questions

Post by mr surveyor »

I've only dabbled with a bit of HP38, but I understand the claim of "dirty powder" .... same as Unique. I've use a good bit of Unique, but I did learn pretty early on that it needed to be loaded to the higher end of the spectrum - near (or at) the recommended max loads for it to get a good complete burn. My little bit of HP38 was used mainly in 38 spl, and was on the upper end of the standard .38 spl load recommendations. I never noticed excessive fouling with the more "upper end" loads. Same with Unique .... playing with the low end of the spectrum and I didn't get a good complete burn - gave the appearance of a "dirty powder". Loaded closer to the upper end and it not only cleaned up, it also tightened up the chrony statistics.

Try using the HP38 closer to the recommended "upper end" loads and see if it seems to clean up.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

rog54 wrote:<snip>
Secondly, Any of you loaded 357sig ? any recommendations on powder for that load?
I've been using True Blue from Western Powders/Ramshot mostly with 90 and 110 grain jacketed and .1 to .2 above minimum with a tight tapper crimp. The H&K seems to like them.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

Almost any powder is "dirty" when not loaded to it's optimum level/pressure. Light loads of W231/HP38 will often leave a bit more debris, but mid to upper loads will burn "clean". One of my house gun loads is a 148 DEWC over near max/max loads of W231 for my 3" 38 Special. Clean burning, but as any thing that burns, it leaves some residue behind...
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

HP38 is not even on my list for 45 ACP... maybe just me.

However, it seems to be the best so far with traditional older guns and loads for all the old guns/calibers I have/cast for/reload/shoot, including 32 S&W L, 38 SPC, 44-40, 45 Colt. Only one I have found it to be tad "dirty" is the 32 L, and, as just starting with that caliber/gun, I am attributing that to an inadequate roll crimp. More testing required. Also on the top of the list for my soon to have Old Colt 32-20.
GRV01

Post by GRV01 »

oscarflytyer wrote:HP38 is not even on my list for 45 ACP... maybe just me.
I reload alot with HP38 for 38SPL, but i want to pick up 45ACP and 45LC and was hoping to continue using that powder for low poer plinkers. What is it about HP38 that keeps it out of your 45acp?
No thin chicks
Currently reloading .357 Magnum and .38 Special
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Pretty sure I have a can of HP38. Not sure why I got it. It's the same as something else if memory serves.

The easiest cartridges to load for are .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .45 Colt, .45 ACP, 9mm and they can kind of use the same powder if you make large concessions.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
rog54

Post by rog54 »

Thanks again guys!
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

As noted by miked above H38 is W231 according to Hogdon. I use W231 in 45 Colt, 45 Auto and in 38/357. If not loaded near max it tends to be dirty.
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

GRV01 wrote:
oscarflytyer wrote:HP38 is not even on my list for 45 ACP... maybe just me.
I reload alot with HP38 for 38SPL, but i want to pick up 45ACP and 45LC and was hoping to continue using that powder for low poer plinkers. What is it about HP38 that keeps it out of your 45acp?
A 4-5 grn Bullseye load with a 200 H&G #68 clone keeps pretty much any other powder/load out of my 45s. It just works so well, no reason or desire to play around...

Return to “"Dippers"”