dippers are a starting place

All black, red, and yellow Powder Measure Kits.
bluetick
My Press Choice: Single Stage

dippers are a starting place

Post by bluetick »

Sometimes you have a powder load that will coincide perfectly with the dipper's capacity. But mostly not. For example. A die set for 44 spl comes with a 7 dipper which yields 6.3 grains of Unique. But the starting load is 6.7 grains. So the dipper now becomes a trickler, and works very well for that purpose. I generally only use a dipper and a scale. The dipper to get me close, and the scale to get it exact.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: dippers are a starting place

Post by daboone »

I was only allowed to use dippers that my dad made some 62 years ago. Each dipper was labeled for the powder / gun combo. Wish I had kept them. If you think about it mechanical powder measure are just fancy adjustable dippers. Never had a problem with dippers. Since then I've made a few with coat hangers and cut down cases and of course solder.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

I use them when I am working up a new load. Dipper to get close, then trickle to get exact.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

There are tons of ways to change the charge from a Lee dipper. First, the method used can vary the charge, for me, up to one full grain. Pushing the dipper backwards through the powder then "striking" the top level, backwards w/o striking, pushing through mouth first once, or pushing through twice, dipping speed, using a deep container will give different charges, and .4 grain more is really easily obtained. Experiment and practice and you can customize a charge. Also the dippers themselves can me customized; removal of material from the open end will lower the charge. Making the cavity volume smaller will lower the charge (I have dropped epoxy in the cavity, I have epoxied BBs in the cavity). The charges can be made larger by increasing the dipper volume like reaming the ID, and I have drilled the bottom of the dipper slightly to increase the charge. I've made quite a few dippers and often "tweek" the charges with the previous methods...
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

bluetick wrote:Sometimes you have a powder load that will coincide perfectly with the dipper's capacity. But mostly not. For example. A die set for 44 spl comes with a 7 dipper which yields 6.3 grains of Unique. But the starting load is 6.7 grains. So the dipper now becomes a trickler, and works very well for that purpose. I generally only use a dipper and a scale. The dipper to get me close, and the scale to get it exact.
+1
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

orerancher wrote:
bluetick wrote:Sometimes you have a powder load that will coincide perfectly with the dipper's capacity. But mostly not. For example. A die set for 44 spl comes with a 7 dipper which yields 6.3 grains of Unique. But the starting load is 6.7 grains. So the dipper now becomes a trickler, and works very well for that purpose. I generally only use a dipper and a scale. The dipper to get me close, and the scale to get it exact.
+1
I used to trickle with an empty case. As I got older my trickling became more trembling complete with frequent resultant expletives :D so now I just rely on an RCBS trickler.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

I use a single stage and take my sweet time and I also use dippers to start my load on my scale then I trickle to top it off. I love the dippers they save me time.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
AlaskanGuy

Post by AlaskanGuy »

I used dippers and had little cardboard wads that I would insert to get my powder right. 410 nitro cards and fiber wads were pretty close
Any technology, not understood, can seem like magic....

Return to “"Dippers"”