Bullet feeder which one?

Decapping, Rifle Charging, Universal Case Expanding Die, and other utility dies.
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Bullet feeder which one?

Post by Shooterrick2020 »

Okay just for grins I'm thinking about adding a bullet feeder to my breech lock Pro. And doing a little research I've decided not to use the Lee bullet feeder. The reason is I always believe the simplest solution is usually the best and a bullet feeding die seems to be much more straightforward as a solution.

I'm looking at the Hornady and the RCBS and the mini mr. Bullet feeder. There seems to be some negative reviews talking about how touchy the Hornady bullet feeding die is and at the moment the mini mr. Bullet feeder seems to be very straightforward and easy to use.

Of course I would like to borrow all the brains I can so if anyone has experience with these I would appreciate your input
If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got.
RCWarjet

Re: Bullet feeder which one?

Post by RCWarjet »

I load 10 handgun calibers (380, 9mm, 38/357, 357 Sig, 40SW,10mm, 44, 45 ACP, and 45LC). I have the Lee system for all, 5 of the Hornady dies, all of the RCBS kits, and just got the 9/38 and 45 DAA dies. IMO:

** DAA is the best, no issues at all with them in jacketed, plated, or smooth side lead (ACME) bullets, also loaded 44 bullets easily, just had to adjust die depth from the 45 setting, case activated dispensing. Cost $150 for all 3 kits.

** Lee next best because it will load lead coated also. Requires multiple adjustments to get set correctly (can be tedious and time consuming). If the rotation process gets interrupted (empty case loader, etc), standby for a bullet or 2 to be spit out before resuming the process. Costs about $100 for the feeder and 5 sets of caliber fingers.

** Hornady next because won't load lead without polishing collets, setting is very sensitive, once set though no issues. Cost for 5 dies is $160.

** RCBS kits: won't do lead and no 44 kit available, very sensitive to setting, has nylon internals which are easily crushed when first learning how to set up. Cost for 4 kits (380/9/38/357, 40/10mm, 45, and 38 heavy (160-180 grain bullets) is $140, RCBS ships free and quickly for orders over $25!!

All of these systems work as advertised, differences depend on what you are looking for. All have good instructions (some of the YouTube videos are not useful).
RCWarjet

Re: Bullet feeder which one?

Post by RCWarjet »

PS - don't waste time trying to make any of these systems work with 357 Sig, just hand feed the bullets.

Return to “Utility”