Reloading for the Marlin 308 express

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
jertex
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Reloading for the Marlin 308 express

Post by jertex »

I'll be taking my new-to-me 308 MXLR to the range tomorrow for the first time to see what it will do with factory ammo. My Lee Classic Turret press will come in next week and I'll be reloading for this round. I know nothing about reloading and will need to buy dies, boolits, etc. and I don't know what I don't know. I plan on ordering the Lymon 50th edition reloading handbook to go with my Lee Modern Reloading book that comes with the press kit, to help, but I plan on leaning on the knowledge here and the Marlin Owners forum for a lot of reloading help. I have a lot of questions:

1. Which dies? Will the Winchester 308 dies work?
2. What are my bullet options besides the Hornady 160 gr FTX?
3. Powder recommendations? I only have one type on hand so far so I'll need to pick some different options for the different calibers I'll be reloading (44 magnum for rifle/relvolver, 30-30, 32 Special, 38/357 for rifle/revolver, 444 Marlin, .223, 300 AAC, and of course the 308ME)

I will probably start my reloading experiments with the 308 Marlin, just because it's the one that is the most intriguing to me.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Reloading for the Marlin 308 express

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well, that is a cartridge that is not frequently discussed. It is a rimmed cartridge so the 308 Win dies are not a fit. I had Lee make dies for my 308, 338, and 450 Marlins, the dies left with the rifles when I sold them.
308_Marlin_Exp_cartridge.jpg
Lee doesn't offer dies for it other than the Factory Crimp Die. Hornady & RCBS is the best choice.. Redding and CH4D have them, but they will probably run twice as much money. Hornady will be the only source of brass.

If not the FTX bullets, it will need either a flat or very round nose with an exposed lead core. The rifle has a tubular magazine and pointy bullet leaves a possibility of primer detonation in the tube. Bullets intended for the 30-30 Win would be the primary choices.

Powders, anything that fits with the 308 Win will work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

I did a brief search . IF dies aren't available now in a pinch you might get away with 300 Savage dies BUT they will leave the shoulder OD untouched depending on your particular chamber and the potential is there to size cases too short .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
jertex
Supporter
Supporter

Post by jertex »

I just did a search and there appear to be several sets available on Mid South Shooters Supply, eBay, and Amazon. I'm going to go ahead and order a set now while I can.

Edit: they're also available direct from RCBS.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

With the exception of the 300 AAC and .223 any of the remaining rifle calibers use similar weight bullets and powders. The .223 also uses the same variety of powders. My favourates are IMR 8208 and CFE 223 . In fact my best Win 98 load uses CFE .223. I suggest you bookmark each of the powder manufacturer websites where you will find safe and tested loads for the calibers you load. Beware of "Internet Experts" loads that are not within published data minimum and maximum parameters. If you are loading for accuracy my experience is that this is usually found below maximum velocities. Read the books don't be afraid to post a question here. You will get good and responsible advice given in a helpful and courteous manner. Share your experiences, we all can learn something new. Hand loading is one of those activities that invites conversation.
jertex
Supporter
Supporter

Post by jertex »

I picked up some RCBS dies off of eBay for a very good price. I'll purchase the factory crimp die & the quick trim die as well and I should be good to go apart from bullets. I plan on experimenting with both the standard Hornady 160gr FTX and some flat-nose bullets as well. I've read that the FTX has a problem with breaking up and under penetrating so I want to experiment with some different options. I can say that after shooting the rifle at the range today that I'm impressed with how accurate it is with the Hornady factory loads. I shot a 4 shot, .7" group from a rest at 100 yards and a 1.3" group from a rest at 200 yards.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

My start place would be with everything suitable to the 300 Savage . While the case is slightly shorter the working pressure is raised making the slower preferred powders in the 300 best here at the muzzle there's probably not 50 fps difference .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

Didn't see it mentioned, but I'd suggest a basic "How to" text on reloading. The Lyman manual has good info, but a dedicated reloading text will have much more info. Probably the most popular is "The ABCs of Reloading". It will give in depth explanations of each step (how and why), describe components (brass, powders, bullets and primers), explain equipment/tools, and there's a bit on casting and shotgun reloading.

I won't buy any reloading tools, equipment or components from any vendor on ebay. I bought used dies twice and both times got junk. And I can get better service and prices from on line vendors. Many (most?) ebay vendors selling reloading and casting equipment don't know what they are selling. Once I was trying to find out more info on a bullet mold and I emailed the seller and asked what was the weight of the bullet was. Long story short, he could not supply that info and told me if I didn't like his description, then I shouldn't buy the mold. That was my last ebay transaction...
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I've have few problems buying off eBay but if I cannot tell what they are selling I move on.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

jertex wrote:I picked up some RCBS dies off of eBay for a very good price. I'll purchase the factory crimp die & the quick trim die as well and I should be good to go apart from bullets. I plan on experimenting with both the standard Hornady 160gr FTX and some flat-nose bullets as well. I've read that the FTX has a problem with breaking up and under penetrating so I want to experiment with some different options. I can say that after shooting the rifle at the range today that I'm impressed with how accurate it is with the Hornady factory loads. I shot a 4 shot, .7" group from a rest at 100 yards and a 1.3" group from a rest at 200 yards.
Excellent shooting. The 308ME is a very capable rifle. I also use RCBS dies with mine. The ONLY issues I have read about with the Hornady 160's is not them "breaking" apart, but at closer ranges (under 100 yds) if hitting bone (shoulder for instance) they will/may under penetrate, probably due to over expansion. No problem at longer distance. I've loaded 150gr and 170gr FP 308dia bullets with good results.

Return to “Rifle”