Dies

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Dies

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:Perhaps a turned down mandrill from a neck sizing die?
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Ranch Dog wrote:Did you buy the die set new? It looks like a shade tree tool maker product to me. No way that is a current Lee Ez-Xpander!

Yes, new but a long time ago, probably the early 90s. I'd contact Lee but considering shipping and all and the fact I'd like a factory crimp die I may just go ahead and pick up a new set.

Merry Christmas to all,
Curt
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Jeff H
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Jeff H »

I know this thread is a bit "stale," being from last year, but I thought the info would be helpful to others.

That expander in question is indeed the "older" version. First set of LEE rifle dies I bough was early to mid-eighties and that was exactly what they looked like up to some point which I don't remember. I never had a problem with them, but the new version will swap out and I do like the new one better.

I broke a few of the "unbreakable" decapping pins - off-center flash holes would bend them a perfect 90 degrees and cause you a fit getting the case back out of the die. The pins actually broke when I tried to straighten them back out. Pulled one out of the end of the expander once too - undersized flash holes in some "off-brand" Euro commercial 6.5x55 cases, Bergman, or something like that.

Return to “Rifle”