45-70 Govt Collet Die

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

45-70 Govt Collet Die

Post by Ranch Dog »

Lee has a new 45-70 Govt, a Collet Die. I find it very interesting as it should overcome the life issues with 45-70 Govt brass. It sure is pricey, especially with their shipping/handling charges. No retailer has it yet. Might be just right for my Gibbs Summit.

Michael
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: 45-70 Govt Collet Die

Post by orerancher »

The Die won't work with My Press.....

But I really like Your Rifle! :mrgreen:
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Interesting. My brother just bought a CVA Hunter in 45-70 and neither of us have ever shot/reloaded a 45-70 before. He bought the regular Lee dies with the powder thru expander. What issues should I be looking out for?

BTW, awesome rifle. +guns
ireload2

Post by ireload2 »

There are no case life issues with 45-70 brass.
I have owned and shot over a dozen 45-70s since 1972. I have about 1000 cases some which have been fired over 30 times in 7 or 8 different rifles. I have only had 4 cases crack due to excessive sizing.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:Interesting. My brother just bought a CVA Hunter in 45-70, and neither of us have ever shot/reloaded a 45-70 before. He bought the regular Lee dies with the powder thru expander. What issues should I be looking out for?
None. Honestly and like ireload2 noted below, the cartridge is about as straightforward at it gets. I bet your CVA is very close to the SAAMI spec; my Marlin 1895G needed fat bullets (.460 ~ .461") and heavy bullets (425 & 525-grains) gave the cases a "snake swallowing a rabbit" appearance. Still, cases never failed, but maybe the die is available for a situation like this that where a fat throated rifle simply fireforms the brass, and the die sizes the neck and web and leaves it at that. That's what I thought of it when I looked at it on the website, but with the question; what size is the mandrill and how much does it cost for a different size if it isn't fat?
klr wrote:BTW, awesome rifle. +guns
Thanks, not many out there. Concerning the die, just looking at it as a neck sizer like the Collet dies I use with my other bolt actions.
ireload2 wrote:There are no case life issues with 45-70 brass.
I have owned and shot over a dozen 45-70s since 1972. I have about 1000 cases some which have been fired over 30 times in 7 or 8 different rifles. I have only had 4 cases crack due to excessive sizing.
Greetings ireload2 and welcome to the forum. Yeah, I was too dramatic with the thought of a new tool (toy)! I've done a bunch of 45-70 Govt shooting, even pressure testing, and not have I had a case fail. My current levergun is a Rossi Rio Grande which they cut to the SAAMI spec, so it's .456" groove only needs a .457" ~ .458" cast bullet. A novel idea on Rossi's part after a decade and half of working with the JM Marlins. Even with a bullet like the Beartooth Pile Drivers (525-grain), sized at .457", the cartridge has a sleek tapered appearance and will probably last until they are ejected and lost on a hunt. I do anneal my brass on a three to five shot cycle.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

+of
klr wrote:Interesting. My brother just bought a CVA Hunter in 45-70 and neither of us have ever shot/reloaded a 45-70 before.
Not related to the die, but you might want to watch this video about shooting a pump gun with a heavy slug load. Sounds crazy, but pay particular attention to the setup for recoil and the rotation of your forearm grip. All this is about 2:45 into the video. The reason I bring this up is I had a CVA Hunter chambered in 35 Rem. These are very light rifles and that 35 Rem with heavy bullets would rotate right out of your grip. It didn't jump with the recoil, it rolled. If you shot it off a forend bag without gripping it, at the shot, it would be laying on its side on the bench. I could actually feel the bullet rotating down the barrel. The info is also important with heavy recoil rifles and pump guns. I'm going to a make a guess that the info will make a difference with the groups from my Savage 170s as well (pump guns).

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Thanks for the info. I had a CVA in 35 Rem, but hadn't thought about holding the forearm against rotating recoil like that. I grew up shooting 22 and .223 and never had to worry much about recoil. I do have to put a death-grip on my Enfield, however.

I'll relay this info to my brother. With my eye floaters, I won't shoot the 45-70 much.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Just like the Wizard in 45-70. The torque is felt as much as the recoil.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Just like the Wizard in 45-70. The torque is felt as much as the recoil.
Very true, I had the Rossi Wizard in 45-70 Govt and I rechambered a 44 Mag barrel to 444 Marlin. You hand to hang on to both.
Michael

Return to “Rifle”