Need a Custom Sixe Expander for 8MM Mauser

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Need a Custom Sixe Expander for 8MM Mauser

Post by Macd »

I have lapped out my sizer and mold for the 8mm Mauser to .325. I need a custom expander for my Lee resizing die. How do I order and what size is suggested .323 or .324?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Need a Custom Sixe Expander for 8MM Mauser

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:I have lapped out my sizer and mold for the 8mm Mauser to .325. I need a custom expander for my Lee resizing die. How do I order and what size is suggested .323 or .324?
Evening Macd!

It looks like you are going to Special Order EzXpander so you need to start by knowing the diameter of the expander that came with the die set. Typically, and this holds true with any jacketed bullet, the Lee EzXpander needs to be .001" under bullet diameter. SAAMI calls for a .323 bullet with the 8mm Mauser so that expander should be .322".

Because of how the brass will spring back after expansion, I use the cast bullet diameter plus .001". So if you are going to shoot a .324" bullet (using the greater diameter from above), the expander should be .325" which is +.003 over the stock expander. Hope that this makes sense. The reason I said to use the greater diameter was that you can work these down if needed.

I just looked at the Lee website and the have the custom mandrels where they can be added to your shopping cart but not the EzXpanders. Might be a mistake on their part, I've had that happen, but in any case, you will need to call them.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Thanks. I saw the mandrels but not expanders. I will contact them.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Spoke with them. They will make a custom expander for US$30 plus shipping. They recommend .002 under bullet size. They prefer a sample of the oversize bullet. Total cost including shipping would be approximately C$50. After I got off the phone I came up with the idea of ordering an expander for the .338 Win die and taking it down myself. This would be about C$15 total . We are only talking .012. The shafts of the expanders seem to be all the same size so only the taper and button should need lapping down. Am I wrong or right? Is it worth a try?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:Spoke with them. They will make a custom expander for US$30 plus shipping. They recommend .002 under bullet size. They prefer a sample of the oversize bullet. Total cost including shipping would be approximately C$50. After I got off the phone I came up with the idea of ordering an expander for the .338 Win die and taking it down myself. This would be about C$15 total . We are only talking .012. The shafts of the expanders seem to be all the same size so only the taper and button should need lapping down. Am I wrong or right? Is it worth a try?
Yes, that is would I would try before I paid that. Lee's Custom order prices sure have risen, that is disappointing. I guess they want out of that business; molds, dies, etc. CH4D's setup fee for dies is half that of Lee's. The fellow I talked to at that business said their custom work is on the rise so I suspect it is Lee's pricing that is sending buyers there.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Got the .338 expander yesterday from a company in Canada. Less than $10 delivered. Took it down with file and paper today and it works great. It was pretty roughly finished when I started but it is nice and smooth now. I had to install it in the die with about 1/4 inch of shaft proud on top as it is longer than the stock 8mm Mauser die.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good Job!
Michael

Return to “Rifle”