M1 Carbine Sizing Dies.

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

M1 Carbine Sizing Dies.

Post by daboone »

I recently did a comparison study of M1 Carbine sizing dies. Because the M1 Carbine has a significant taper, even more than the 9mmL. This make it rather unusual. I have an old Lee, a brand new Lee, a brand new RCBS steel die and the Hornady sizing dies. I set them up for single stage and ran a comparison test. I didn't use the old Lee die because it was seriously over sizing. In fact that why I did this comparison.

SAAMI specifications for the M1 Carbine case:
Case measurement just above the web:.3548
Mouth Measurement:.336

After sorting several LC 67 cases for consistent measurements I found 9 fires cases measuring .357 using Lyman Dial Calipers. I didn't measure the cases mouth. Using 3 different sizing dies a new Lee, a new RCBS and a borrowed Hornady here are the results I got from measuring 3 cases for each different die.
Note that I am use a dial caliper and not going for micrometer accuracy. The measurements listed below are the average after sizing 3 cases for each different die.

New Lee: .355 and .336
New RCBS: .352 and .336
Hornady:.356 and .3365

It's probably obvious I'm not knowledgeable in how to set up ot present this kind of information. :roll:

My conclusions thus far:
The brand new RCBS steel sizing die is now being returned.
My old lee die was definitely sizing the cases too much. (Measurement not shown but was .352) However the new Lee die looks the closest to SAAMI. So once again Lee wins my appreciation for actually paying attention to doing things RIGHT!
The Hornady die may work the brass less. But as I load for 2 WWII M1 Carbines, an Inland and a Rockola I rather use the one die that just does it right in the first place.

Last edited by daboone on 05 Oct 2016 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: M1 Carbine Sizing Dies.

Post by GasGuzzler »

I like your study. Thanks.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Good stuff Daboone. I don't have an M1 but still like you testing.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, interesting for sure. I've got an Interarms and it is the least shot rifle on the ranch. One day, I'm going to change that as a have the dies and a thousand cases and bullets for it. Just never got to it. Lee even sent me their mold drawing so I could Micro-Band their design for my use. Never got to that either. Shame on me.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Ranch Dog wrote:Y..........Lee even sent me their mold drawing so I could Micro-Band their design for my use. Never got to that either. ......
If you do get to it I'd be very interested. I did cast/shoot some of their 113gr soup cans. It fed well in the Rockola but not in the Inland. It was surprisingly accurate, well as accurate as I am anyway. :roll:

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Great work. I'm a bit disappointed that a company that's been at it for as long as RCBS could miss it that far. Makes me want to do some checking on some of my die sets.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:Yeah, interesting for sure. I've got an Interarms...
Don't know why I typed Interarms, my carbine is a Universal. Bottom rung of the ladder I'm told but it has gone bang every time I've pulled the trigger. It has allso have killed deer, javelina, and hogs plus the typical Texas varmints. It has a scope on it. I don't have a picture of it but will get one.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

RD has a scope on everything. If l had the spare cash I'd get an IBM since that's who fed us when I was growing up.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:RD has a scope on everything.
Hogs have been predominantly nocturnal here in South Texas for at least twenty years, can't kill them with open or receiver sights. I'm not a plinker or target shooter, just not interested.

I was picking a rifle up at my FFL yesterday and he had the Auto Ordnance M1 30 Carbines, they look pretty nice.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

Ranch Dog wrote: I'm not a plinker or target shooter, just not interested.
Now how else do you get grandsons/daughters to learn gun safety and to practice their skills? As a "certified grandpa" plinking and target shooting is a fine way to spend the day with the kids and there dads. Heck a couple of times a year most of my 5 kids and the grandkids get together for a picnic and plinking reunion. It's a tradition my dad started.

OTH when I was younger hunting was the only reason to shoot. I've hunted pigs, deer, elk, coyote, mongoose (as a kid I got 25 cents per tail) and even a wild dog pack that were killing my goats and neighboring dogs and cats. I eliminated 6 of those dogs with my old Inland carbine. Pigs were a constant nuisance and a great source of meat. Hunting them in the daytime was never a problem where I hunted them on the Big Island.

Return to “Rifle”