M1 Carbine Sizing Dies.

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: M1 Carbine Sizing Dies.

Post by Ranch Dog »

Teaching your grandkids or kids is different than the idea of me going out and plinking or target shooting. I mean I do a lot of shooting, shot my Marlin 375 a bit over 200 rounds in the last 10 days doing load work and sighting the rifle in through 200 yards. Started today moving my Rem 722 from jacketed to cast for the purpose of hunting with it in a couple of weeks. Most, if not all, of my shooting is related to load development for hunting.

What I meant by my comment is that I'm not going to buy a firearm for the sole purpose of plinking or target shooting. That would be a firearm that would end up being at the back of my safe never being shot. May be that is why my 30 Carbine hasn't been shot in years.
Last edited by Ranch Dog on 14 Sep 2018 06:35, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: grammer/spelling
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Here is my Universal 30 Carbine

I'm pretty sure that it was bought in the late sixties and I believe it may have been drilled and tapped for the Weaver "1"H" mount along with the stock being relieved for that mount. I recall the ad that got my attention stating that.

At the time I had bought a Mequon 30 Carbine Die to load the rifle. Mequon was a split from Lee that did not survive, they sold both kits and die bodies. If you had any other kit all you needed was the die body to do another cartridge. In the case of the 30 Carbine, you need the seating tool from a pistol kit.

I laid a 32-20 Win case on top of the magazine, used that case to send a bullet into a hog from my Marlin 1894CL three nights ago. The 30 Carb has a useful case capacity of 21 grains of H2O, the 32-20 Win 22 grains.

The scope is a Bushnell ScopeChief 3X from the period. It has the "Command Post" feature. It has a fine crosshair but with the flip of a lever it switches to a post. The receiver sights are usable.

The bullets off to the side are for my Marlin 375, the last I have to load today.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

I honestly needed to pull you chain about shooting with the grandkids. I remember your post about a special grandson. I think you even use his picture as your avatar? You got him off to a great start. I hope he still get to come out to visit from time to time.

Well I don't have any safe queens either. I do collect guns and they don't get the workouts yours do. I love WWII history. My dad was a Silver Star and a Purple Heart recipient. I Also live on Guam as a 8 to 12 yo kid. Spent every spare moment roaming around on 2 landing areas looking to "goodies". Those includes a Type 3 (Taishō 14) heavy machine gun, 2 Arisaka type 38 and 99 as well as knee mortar and 3 different Jap grenades. I wonder what they a worth today as I gave them away just before I went to Vietnam with the Navy. Damn I hate myself sometimes. All of explosives were deactivated by a US Navy boyfriend of my sister who was in the UDT) So I have a bunch of WWII weapons. I did hunt with the M1 Garand, M1 Carbines and the K98 Mauser. I love shooting history. It give me a chance to teach my family about their great grandpa's war.

As an update to my initial post I found some old M1 Carbine Herter dies. They are the worst of all the dies I tried. Even with Imperial Sizing was it was a serious effort of get them sized. It was obvious they weren't up to the task. They took the base of the case down to .3525.

Back to your response. Those casts pictured might struggle to chamber. The Lee 113gr Lee soup cans do alright but hang up on the Inland. Please keep me posted as to the outcome.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'd imagine RD teaches by hunting.

I don't and/or can't. Not sure how y'all use regular glass at 2 AM.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:I'd imagine RD teaches by hunting.

I don't and/or can't. Not sure how y'all use regular glass at 2 AM.
What I teach them is for that purpose. Same with fishing, teach a kid to fish...

On the later, optics gather available light and they work well with any moon illumination. You have to hunt areas that have a light background that will contrast with the dark bodies but that is easy to do down here. So I bait my senderos or work the food plots. I also have "moonlight" lighting on a favored brush line here at the house and use these magnetic LED lights under my feeders.
feeder_led.jpg
I carry one of these lights in my pack and if I get tired or can't find anything I will go to a feeder, stick it on the bottom, and hold up while I take a break. I at least work the full moon week, trying to go out every night.

Funny thing is that a lot of folks hunt hogs at night down here but I don't know of anyone that uses night vision or thermal imaging of any sort. Hell, no one around here an afford that stuff.

I do carry an LED spotlight, not a real bright one, to help locate hogs particularly in food plots but I do move to them with it. As far as shoot a hog under a spotlight, at least here, that bullet better be on the way when you light them up. There is a way to work a light at night but I tend to work without it. I do keep a small tactical light and electrical tape in my pack as I have had clouds roll in and turn a great working moon into pitch black. That is the story with this hog.

Before my grandson left, he wasn't five yet, he decided he wanted to go out with me at night so with mom and grandma's approval I took him on a short "hog patrol." He really did good especially in light of the lack of light. I don't think we ever turned on even a small flashlight. I held his hand the whole time and he never got scared. I spent time whispering what the sounds and sights where and I hope he will always remember the starts because you could almost touch them. When he realized we were moving toward home he whispered "Popo, I'm sorry we didn't find any hogs" and I replied "that's okay but they are all around us we just can't see them." His eyes looked like saucers in the moonlight and he whispered back "Then we need to be real quite!"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Awesome
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Rifle”