Expander Diameter Matters!

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Expander Diameter Matters!

Post by Ranch Dog »

I started working with my SMLE chambered in 303 British and noticed that as I started to chamber some test cartridges that I was getting some bullet slip as the bolt was rotated closed. With the short necked 303 British, the bullet was remaining stationary but the case was rotating and despite the positive crimp with the Factory Crimp Die the bullet would slide to the forward edge of the cannelure as the bolt was closed. Using cartridges dipped in mica, I was able to verify the movement.

I also thought that for this movement to be taking place within the confines of the chamber, the seated bullet might not be concentric with the longitudinal axis of the case thus making contact with chamber walls in the process of the bolt rotation. Pulling out the cartridge runout scale told the tale. The 303 British die set uses a .310" expander and the short neck of the cartridge was just not providing enough alignment and tension. Average runout is as indicated, .0027". Onc hit with the kinetic bullet puller would send the bullet sailing.

Lucky, I keep a stock of different expander diameters and the basic 30 caliber expander, a .307", provided great tension which eliminated the "slip" when chambering a cartridge and cut the average runout in half.

Will need to get a .002" undersized mandrell ordered for the collet die for use with jacketed bullets!
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Expander Diameter Matters!

Post by daboone »

Very interesting. I've got that Sinclair concentricity gauge. I'll give the next batch a look see. Please keep us posted how the undersized mandrell works.

Glad to see you shooting mil surps. They are my joy and so dang fun to bring up to speed. I've got the lee mold and 2 others. I've only load cast bullets for my most of the mil surps collection, the exceptions are the M1 Carbines and the Garands.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

I don't understand why you would dip them in mica?
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

62chevy wrote:I don't understand why you would dip them in mica?
The mica leaves a light delicate coating of powder on the cartridge and any contact with the chamber/throat will be noted. On the cartridges fed into the chamber from the magazine, I could see where the bullet ogive was making contact with one side of the chamber, the ogive would be rubbed clear at the contact and the mica left where at the point of contact. The contact isn't unusual especially with a staggered magazine. The maximum runout would be opposite the rubbed area on the on the .310" expanded cartridge. The contact was still being made with the .307" expanded cartridges but the runout didn't relate to the rubbed area. That runout was just the normal seen with any loaded cartridge. The above was all done slowly are carefully to see what was going on.

The slip on the cannelure could be identified by the mica on the cartridge case. There was a slight swirling pattern on the case.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

RD so it's kinda like using bluing or a light smoking to find rub areas.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

62chevy wrote:RD so it's kinda like using bluing or a light smoking to find rub areas.
Yeap!
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Gonna have to do something similar on my .222 Rem project noted on RD's Rossi rifle site.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:Gonna have to do something similar on my .222 Rem project noted on RD's Rossi rifle site.
Haven't had time swing by it yet but I bet it is interesting.
Michael

Return to “Rifle”