Brass At The End Of Its Life

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Brass At The End Of Its Life

Post by RBHarter »

I'm very stingy with my brass especially in slightly exotic things like 264 WM . I only shoot the exotic carts in 1 rifle so so there's no need to full length every time.

As a little side note the belted mags like most rimmed cartridges are designed to head space on the belt not the shoulder . This also allows weird things like a clearly marked 7mm Remington mag to be left on the range with very distinct Weatherby shoulders . The end result is case stretch and the separation you're seeing . If it were me I would use 2 different brands and size the minimum needed for each rifle such as Remington LRP for the 7x6.8 mildcat and SRP brass for the 6.8 SPCII. Annealing necks goes a long ways in making brass last a long time. I had some Winchester 45 Colts that was smoking cases with a load into Ruger loads . Turns out you can neck size Colts cases and anneal them ,those are going on 40 or so cycles . The 264 WM has cases that 5 cycles on them and are yet to reach trim length ,honestly though those loads are at a paltry 2900 fps with 140s . So it's really just being shot at an 06' levels.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Brass At The End Of Its Life

Post by Ranch Dog »

Check out this 300 Savage case. This is from a very small lot of mixed headstamped brass. Sixth load all with the Pacesetter (full length) dies. I will usually see a crack develop on the sharp shoulder of this cartridge but this is the first web failure.

Michael

Return to “Rifle”