Shell holders

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Shell holders

Post by Maximumbob54 »

This may not strictly be just with Rifle dies but that's what I bought. I joined the .300 BLK madness and the shell holder that came with it is a new design. These are stock photos I found on the net:

old design:

new design:

Does anyone know if this is a new standard that all Lee shell holders will be now, is it just rifles, or is this just a flash in the pan sort of thing just for the .300 BLK dies???

I never had a problem with the older style though so I assume this must be a cost cutting issue.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Shell holders

Post by RBHarter »

Loading for an AR I wonder if it is a "solution" for the rim burr that occasionally needs to be turned to fit .
That looks like more tool wear to me 2 cuts and a finish over 1 plunge .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I just bumble into a 2 die plus an FDC for.the 300 aac did you get the whole set ? I don't see a 300 in my future, I like the 6.8 a lot . I load for a x39 too.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

RBHarter wrote:Loading for an AR I wonder if it is a "solution" for the rim burr that occasionally needs to be turned to fit .
That looks like more tool wear to me 2 cuts and a finish over 1 plunge .
That could be the case with the rim burr. Belt fed just about rips the case from the chamber. Maybe it's going to be for .223 and .308 then if this is the case.
RBHarter wrote:I just bumble into a 2 die plus an FDC for.the 300 aac did you get the whole set ? I don't see a 300 in my future, I like the 6.8 a lot . I load for a x39 too.
I bought the full Lee set for .300 BLK since I lucked into a cheap sale on the upper. I bought it as just something interesting since I have several .30 molds already and .300 BLK brass is dirt cheap compared to any other rifle (besides .223) so it will be just for fun for now.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I wasn't down on the 300,well not really . I can see where it is a practical tool but it seems limited , kind of like a serious long range rifle and using it at the 100 and under range . It would be fun to tinker with . I'm in a buy now for a 311-230 FP for a couple loading projects ,x39 and an 06 that I'm told doesn't exist.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Had a thought. I bet the new shape is easier on the reverse indexing kits for the Classic Turret for shoving the loaded cartridge from the shell holder. I guess it would be easier to slide the case into it as well.

Return to “Rifle”